Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
That site is wrong. These are the manual trans final drives used in 2WD Swifts and Metros...
3.52 - 1989-1994 SOHC 4-cyl Swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by me and my metro View Post
Gasoline fumes lists the only ratios I have seen. I ran Metros for 8 years. Since the transmission drive gear is attached to the crown gear you change the driven gear to correct for tire size only. The 3.5 tranny came in sohc 1.3 Swift from 89-94...
So based on this info, and the fact that my tranny did come of a '91 SOHC 4cyl Swift... Then I have to assume that I do have a 3.52 and just got lucky with my speedometer accuracy!

However, in the near future I will lift the car and manually rotate the engine and compare engine revs vs tire revs as suggested by freebeard, just did not get a chance to do so today.

I did remove the tach I was using and tested it's accuracy against my Disco's OEM tach reading, and then against my Mazda's OEM tach reading... And the e-bay tach is in fact not accurate... as suspected... It is reading way lower than actual and not consistent enough between tests or between cars for me to bother with trying to figure out a % of inaccuracy to try to apply to the GEO... so I just removed and kept it off.

Will have to come up with a good tach option that doesn't involve $150 (going local price) for a factory 3cyl gauge cluster... And since now that my speedometer is know to be accurate, now I don't have to rush and buy a gauge set like I expected

Attached Images

Last edited by MPGeo; 09-28-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If you have a 'smart' phone, I hear they have tachometer apps.
I did look up some of the apps, I will have to try those... would be interesting to compare to the my other cars like I just did the induction tach i just removed, and see if it works as advertised... and see what I get on the GEO, even with all the road noise..

Will have to try and keep you guys posted, but not today, it's raining cats and dogs out there.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

RE: So What's Next?

Ok, so now that it's running, I'm waiting to put some miles on it so that I can begin to get a FE base line... I will have to base mine on miles per tank. I know it's not the best way for measuring the effects of individual mods, but once I begin commuting with the GEO, my bottom line concern is how many miles was I able to get out of this tank... Being a pre-OBD2, a scan gauge is out the window, and I won't be making an MPGuino anytime soon...

So for now, miles per tank will have to do. But since my commute is 120 miles daily, I should be able to get a base line fairly quickly.

But here are a few things coming down the pipe line...

-Partial Kammback
have on spare car, but not installed.

-XFI ECM swap
purchased, but not installed.

-Custom Econo Cam Grind
purchased, but not installed.
(originally installed, but then removed)

- Alternator Disconnect Switch
Group 22 - AGM - 43 Ahr -Deep cycle battery installed on factory location
No action taken w/ respect to switch yet

-All Lights to LED conversion - Electrical Load Reduction
Removed all light covers for size & fitment measurements.
Visited a local truck-stop w/ a massive accessory depot. and window/price shopped all different options...
In research stage at the moment

-Flexible Solar Panel Roof
Have found a good fitment candidate... In research stage at the moment.
Have personal experience with solar from other home projects

-Bigger wheel sizes experimentation
In research stage at the momen

-Front wheel skirts
In mental design stages at the moment.

-Rear wheel skirts
no progress

-Plexi- headlight covers
no progress

-Side mirror/s delete
no progress

-Antenna delete / relocate
no progress

-Wipers delete
no progress

-Belly pan
no progress

etc, etc, etc....
Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
91 Swift ga had short tires on 14" rims, they are very close to the diameter of your factory 12" tires on your Metro that is why your speed is reading correctly. If you put taller tires on your car you will need a speedo gear out of a 95+ car to keep it close, they came with taller tires on 13" rims.
The Following User Says Thank You to me and my metro For This Useful Post:
MPGeo (09-28-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGeo View Post
So based on this info, and the fact that my tranny did come of a '91 SOHC 4cyl Swift... Then I have to assume that I do have a 3.52 and just got lucky with my speedometer accuracy!

However, in the near future I will lift the car and manually rotate the engine and compare engine revs vs tire revs as suggested by freebeard, just did not get a chance to do so today.

I did remove the tach I was using and tested it's accuracy against my Disco's OEM tach reading, and then against my Mazda's OEM tach reading... And the e-bay tach is in fact not accurate... as suspected... It is reading way lower than actual and not consistent enough between tests or between cars for me to bother with trying to figure out a % of inaccuracy to try to apply to the GEO... so I just removed and kept it off.

Will have to come up with a good tach option that doesn't involve $150 (going local price) for a factory 3cyl gauge cluster... And since now that my speedometer is know to be accurate, now I don't have to rush and buy a gauge set like I expected
use a cheap 6 cylinder tach and a calculator. Or do like I used to and re-mark the face with new values.

Simon

Last edited by LittleBlackDuck; 09-29-2016 at 01:33 AM..
Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #76 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I would recommend an air dam. I could feel the difference when I put one on my car. Its quick, cheap, and easy to do.

As mentioned, miles per tank is really not a good measurement. At the very least, calculate your mpg when you fill up. This is more reliable than miles per tank.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #77 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
aerohead took a ride there.
Do you have a commemorative plaque?

There are now DOT-legal LED headlight bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headl..._1474993046650
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Ecky (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
No, but I did get a b*tt-load of commemorative rust.
Quote:
Compact All-in-one integrated design, built-in CANBus to avoid error codes. The decoding function may not work for all vehicles. Some known incompatible vehicles include mini copper. If it does not work for your vehicles, please contact us!
Watch out for those mini-coppers!

These appear similar to the units I got for about that price. Two LEDs on each side of a post is not the same as a point source like the halogen bulb. The beam pattern is similar to a old sealed beam.

I applied a field-expedient fix.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I would recommend an air dam. I could feel the difference when I put one on my car. Its quick, cheap, and easy to do.

As mentioned, miles per tank is really not a good measurement. At the very least, calculate your mpg when you fill up. This is more reliable than miles per tank.
As far as the air dam... I agree that it will have to be done, and it is in the scope of things to come sooner or later, hopefully likely sooner...

As far as calculating the mpg... Not sure of what other methods are being used to calculate miles-per-tank , but the way I usually calculate miles-per-tank is by topping off tank, driving 'till empty (or near there), topping off again and calculating miles driven vs gallons to fill up.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

So since we're talking about lighting options...

I was thinking about replacing the complete headlight assembly with an LED 4x6 hi/low beam assembly...
Maybe something like this one And it doesn't have to be one necessarily, but maybe something like it... what you guys think?

In the mean time I did stop by NAPA today, since I have a few buddies there, and the gave me a spare full line lighting catalog, that will help me find what I'm looking for... or at least give me more info on what's available through their suppliers.

Also, I did go by a local glass place today and talked to them about my intentions with the light covers for the GEO... the suggested Makrolon, so I bought to pieces 7"x12"x0.125" so that I can do the clear light cover mod as suggested on the lexan cover how-to thread.

It's a bit thicker, but they said it would form easy with a heat gun and would not crack... What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_162952.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	20617  
Reply  Post New Thread