Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2023, 01:29 AM   #71 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
No AC when the engine is off: Thats a no from me dawg. But if you could rig up an electric ac compressor or an e assist one you could have AC. That would be sick. Doable. But showing up every where sweaty is not doable.
I have already seen some all-electric air conditioning setups for vehicles, not to mention makeshift setups resorting to residential split air conditioners with an inverter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Go Go Grocery Getter - '14 Mazda CX 5 Touring
In my web searching, I cam across a BorgWarner product that has a 48v (I think?) motor integrated into a differential housing for Independent Rear Suspension (IRS), called Torque Vectoring eRDM. It looks like it has an input for a driveshaft, so theoretically would work with something like the Ford Maverick AWD. Might be a way to add a mild hybrid system to an existing IRS vehicle and maintain the 4k towing capability that is not available on the factory hybrid version.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Go Go Grocery Getter - '14 Mazda CX 5 Touring
Here is the link to that electrified differential housing-

https://www.borgwarner.com/technolog...s-axle-systems
Old 08-06-2023, 12:50 AM   #74 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

ZF was developing a similar product.
https://www.zf.com/mobile/en/stories_12928.html
Old 10-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModder returning

Am hoping I am addressing the original poster's thread with my interest as I see his and mine may be the same thing.

Essentially, to be more specific, I have a 2WD pickup truck that comes in 4WD as well. Hence, there are likely millions of such vehicles on the road today that could be converted to hybrid. Or for the folks who don't use 4WD much, something to convert as well. My idea should be simple because of used parts available:

Simply, I'd like to put an electric front axle on my pickup (A Jeep Comanche to be more specific). I'd like the front axle to run low DC voltage like 12-24 volts needing just a few extra batteries. l'd re-generate and charge the batteries and go easier on my brakes. It would have additional push button circuits for long-down hills where I don't use brakes yet would like some additional drag. Then, I'd have another button, maybe on the floorboard, that would engage the electric front axle. Not a lot of horsepower, just enough if I had to really accelerate OR when I needed a little 4WD help. This isn't for rock climbing just the occasional slippery spot.

Seems to me, that such a kit, all pretty low powered, would be pretty easy to rig so many old vehicles out there it would be a big seller. The additional payoff would come from a few additional batteries, having a separate plug-in charger, would give me redundant batteries for jump starting AND over voltage regulated power essentially cutting off my alternator circuit on most shorter trips.

Am not sure if this is what the original poster has in mind as I hope to get this thread closer to his original request as it's the only one I found on this website via searching.

Your responses are appreciated, thank you, Mark
Old 10-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #76 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,120 Times in 989 Posts
Kinda want higher voltages to lower the currents in the system. 1hp is about 746 watts or 62 amps @ 12v. 36 amps at 24v. 18 amps @48....... In my rangers case, 136 hp is 530 amps at 190ish volts or 101 Kilowatt
Old 10-05-2023, 06:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

No wonder 48V made mild-hybrids suitable for the average Joe, even though Suzuki has some 12V hybrid version of the Swift.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:55 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
$35K is a pretty high bar.

Any VW, Jeep, Audi, Subaru or Dodge hybrid could become a ute: www.smythkitcars.com/

as soon as i saw that i thought it was a Ford f150 jelly bean that was lowered to the ground
Old 12-31-2023, 09:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48V View Post
I really, really want a 1/2 ton plug-in hybrid pickup truck. First, I want all the engine accessories to be electric. No alternator, just a battery pack. Relatively simple to accomplish.

Second, I want the front wheels to be electrified. It doesn't need to go very fast, just for creeping along in traffic, parking lots, drive thrus, etc with the engine off. It could also provide regenerative braking at higher speeds.

If I start with a generic 1/2 ton 4WD truck (I'm not naming a brand on purpose) what would be the best way to try and accomplish this? I would like to get rid of the transfer case but keep the front axle.

What size motor would I need to do such a thing? Could I do something as simple as attaching a ~10hp electric motor to the front driveshaft, or directly on the differential? I'm not really sure how much power I would need, or what options are out there. I would prefer to keep the whole thing running on 48v if I can...

Thoughts?
Chevy silverado hybrid might be up your ally

there is an after market EV grid charger.. it can go upto 30mph in EV mode with about 3 miles range
Old 12-31-2023, 10:02 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Serva View Post
Am hoping I am addressing the original poster's thread with my interest as I see his and mine may be the same thing.

Essentially, to be more specific, I have a 2WD pickup truck that comes in 4WD as well. Hence, there are likely millions of such vehicles on the road today that could be converted to hybrid. Or for the folks who don't use 4WD much, something to convert as well. My idea should be simple because of used parts available:

Simply, I'd like to put an electric front axle on my pickup (A Jeep Comanche to be more specific). I'd like the front axle to run low DC voltage like 12-24 volts needing just a few extra batteries. l'd re-generate and charge the batteries and go easier on my brakes. It would have additional push button circuits for long-down hills where I don't use brakes yet would like some additional drag. Then, I'd have another button, maybe on the floorboard, that would engage the electric front axle. Not a lot of horsepower, just enough if I had to really accelerate OR when I needed a little 4WD help. This isn't for rock climbing just the occasional slippery spot.

Seems to me, that such a kit, all pretty low powered, would be pretty easy to rig so many old vehicles out there it would be a big seller. The additional payoff would come from a few additional batteries, having a separate plug-in charger, would give me redundant batteries for jump starting AND over voltage regulated power essentially cutting off my alternator circuit on most shorter trips.

Am not sure if this is what the original poster has in mind as I hope to get this thread closer to his original request as it's the only one I found on this website via searching.

Your responses are appreciated, thank you, Mark
it would require serious modding i know toyota has a Rear axle that is EV in one of their hybrid highlanders 2011model+

Reply  Post New Thread