Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #471 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Recently I had a semi driver who was unhappy with my lawful cruising speed. First he flashed his high beams (daytime); then he left 'em on. Then he laid on the horn for about 30 seconds. Oh- you want to go even slower? That can be arranged- and it was. Then he pulled over- why I don't know- and the convoy behind him passed him up while I continued merrily on my way. The highway we were on was- with the exception of a few rural intersections and curves- all passing zone.

It's not my fault people overpopulated the area such that safe passing is often not possible anymore.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
kYLEMtnCRUZr (10-04-2014), OG VX (10-09-2014), roflwaffle (05-17-2017), user removed (10-04-2014), Xist (10-04-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #472 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Recently I had a semi driver who was unhappy with my lawful cruising speed. First he flashed his high beams (daytime); then he left 'em on. Then he laid on the horn for about 30 seconds. Oh- you want to go even slower? That can be arranged- and it was. Then he pulled over- why I don't know- and the convoy behind him passed him up while I continued merrily on my way. The highway we were on was- with the exception of a few rural intersections and curves- all passing zone.

It's not my fault people overpopulated the area such that safe passing is often not possible anymore.
A+ Strategy bro. A truck driver will never, ever hit you. They may get close, honk the horn, flash brights, the whole nine yards. They know that if they hit you, even by accident, it goes on their record forever. Not to mention, unless they hit you so hard it disables you, they can't run away. Everytime one of them does what this guy does, find out what company he drives for and give them a call with his license plate number or truck number. They will reprimand him for it. A video for proof is even better.

Also, I noticed that ever since I got my insight, I don't get tailgated or road raged anymore. Maybe people assume just because it's a hybrid I'm going to go slow? Idk, but it's nice.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #473 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OHRALLY - '99 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
90 day: 34.06 mpg (US)

COROLLYPOLY - '02 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 46.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
To be clear, prima facie evidence often prevails to support the notion that if you rear end somebody, it is your fault, but depending upon the liability law in your state, if you cause an accident and are stupid enough to have multiple people witness obvious intent, you can be held up to 100% responsible for it. Even having malfunctioning brake lights is sufficient evidence to reduce the amount of damages you may be entitled to. In Oregon, that's a standard 20-30% fault when it is just the insurance companies involved.

And more food for thought on this issues is that passengers and acquaintances are generally disregarded as witnesses unless there is a jury trial, so don't count on a friend in the car being able to help your case.

And yes, I was very proud to deny that woman every penny. It could have been much worse. She should have gone to jail for assault with a deadly weapon in my opinion, but the cops didn't bother to ask questions because they shared the same wrong-headed attitude about fault. (They aren't looking out for you at all in such circumstances.)
So what if a deer ran into the road? Shouldn't one be able to stop in any circumstance whether on purpose or not?

I (technically) tailgate people in heavy traffic (just like everyone else does for efficient flow) and if some lady decides to slam on her brakes and total both our cars, that would be 100% my fault, whether she was being malicious or avoiding a deer, It would be my fault and I would accept that without any problem. One needs to be able to stop safely in ANY circumstance IMO.

Even a Geo Metro should be able to stop when the Ferrari ahead makes a fully locked stop. 3 seconds worth of space is roughly 264 feet at 60mph. Geo Metros 60-0 is 166 feet. I just find it hard to understand how someone could talk their way out of rear ending someone. It is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 10-04-2014 at 03:32 AM..
Old 10-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #474 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
So what if a deer ran into the road? Shouldn't one be able to stop in any circumstance whether on purpose or not?

I (technically) tailgate people in heavy traffic (just like everyone else does for efficient flow) and if some lady decides to slam on her brakes and total both our cars, that would be 100% my fault, whether she was being malicious or avoiding a deer, It would be my fault and I would accept that without any problem. One needs to be able to stop safely in ANY circumstance IMO.

Even a Geo Metro should be able to stop when the Ferrari ahead makes a fully locked stop. 3 seconds worth of space is roughly 264 feet at 60mph. Geo Metros 60-0 is 166 feet. I just find it hard to understand how someone could talk their way out of rear ending someone. It is beyond my comprehension.
My question is, why risk lifetime insurance rate hikes with a brake check? Neutral coasting is so much more effective in getting people off your ass than a brake check. All brake checking does is infuriate the offending car, causing further problems. Neutral coasting presents no risk to you, and will make the driver behind you go 'what the flying ****?' and want to get out from behind you. In every instance that I have brake checked someone, it has resulted in an additional minute or 2 of road rage retaliations.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #475 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OHRALLY - '99 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
90 day: 34.06 mpg (US)

COROLLYPOLY - '02 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 46.97 mpg (US)
I agree. But why would one get in trouble for brake checking and not neutral coasting? Purposeful change in velocity is purposeful change in velocity and if someone rear ended a coaster, then coaster would be held liable according to scenario in question, which again is ludacrous to me.

Lately I have given up finding humor in people throwing their arms up in the air over nothing. When people finally figure out they can simply pass me, I golf clap them by.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #476 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
I agree. But why would one get in trouble for brake checking and not neutral coasting? Purposeful change in velocity is purposeful change in velocity and if someone rear ended a coaster, then coaster would be held liable according to scenario in question, which again is ludacrous to me.

Lately I have given up finding humor in people throwing their arms up in the air over nothing. When people finally figure out they can simply pass me, I golf clap them by.
It's hard to prove you were coasting. A witness would be hard pressed to see you were intentionally slowing down via coasting. Brake checking on the other hand, is extremely easy to spot.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #477 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Nobody tailgates me when I'm driving the Turtle!

I have driven the same roads daily for 18 years, so eventually everybody got used to seeing the Black Widow, and they would all go out of their way to be in the other lane when they saw it ahead of them.

Now, as soon as they see the Ecomodder.com decal on the back of Turtle, which is visible from a long way off, they are learning to do the same thing. Even on I-4 they're going around me from way back, even though I drive the speed limit on the highway.

The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
OG VX (10-09-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #478 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

Good to see you are back Frank.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
2000mc (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #479 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
The whole deer/animal scenario is why it is considered prima facie. I.e., prudent people brake for hazards, so following too close is assumed - but like I said, not a given and potentially subject to evidentiary scrutiny.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #480 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.61 mpg (US)
People enabling tailgaters by providing a legal framework for them to not be held responsible for their actions are helping to encourage more unsafe driving.

Reply  Post New Thread