Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should EcoModder ban/discourage threads about certain mods? (e.g. magnets, HHO)
Yes - let's agree to talk about topics based on understood science/engineering principles. 27 32.14%
No - we'll miss out on important new discoveries. 17 20.24%
No - I am entertained by the musings of pseudo-scientists and conspiracy theorists. 39 46.43%
AHA! You are obviously in the pocket of Big Oil FOR EVEN CONSIDERING THIS!!!! 14 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I vote for a sub forum / quarantine area. give it a good name like "need a laugh? check these non proven claims "

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #42 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
..."The Snake-Oil Den"?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My vote? let the Unicorns run free throughout the site.

My reasoning? I happen to be one of those poorly-educated Plebes described earlier. My High School filled my head with Grammar, Literature, History since revealed to be more propaganda than fact, and just enough Physics, Chemistry and Biology to be a danger to myself, and the rudiments of a foreign language(French for some reason...). The entire curriculum lacked any basic mechanics courses(Just buy a replacement!) economics(just swipe the credit card) or philosophy(why would you need to learn Critical Thinking in school?). In short, the entire school was designed to feed us full of things we needed to fastrack us into College...

Reaganomics put paid to all my Pell Grant hopes and I have since spent my life working low-wage jobs where they teach you Just Enough to do the job but not enough to help you get a better job. A few years ago I went in debt for the first time in my life to get IT certified-one A+ and Network+ later, I work in a Call center for a Medicare-based private insurance company, listening to an endless stream of complaints from customers so the Bigwigs don't have to(just above minimum wage, thanks for asking)....

Er, got off topic a bit there. Point is, i'm not technical-minded, and lack a certain...depth in my education (trying desperately to rectify that a bit at a time). I'm just the type to fall for a feasible-sounding scam-

But then I wound up here at Ecomodder, and got the benefit of all your collective experience. Despite my lack of technical skill(and money, and time, etc) I and my '93 Festiva have benefitted from the collective wisdom here. I have also been disabused of some reasonable sounding theories concerning Engine Theory, Aerodynamics, HHO etc...and may I add that I would have never bothered to click on a Unicorn Pen or Junk Science Sub-forum in order to be so disabused.

So I vote the Threads continue...use Stickies or a gentle "We discussed this before (link) and welcome New Guy" or similar measures.

And in case I haven't mentioned it...Thank You for all the help i've recieved here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to order99 For This Useful Post:
brucepick (02-01-2011), Christ (02-01-2011), Nevyn (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #44 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
This discussion is becoming magnetizing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...simply create a separate, special page, called "THE TRASH CAN", with the subtitle: where garbage is discovered, researched, mulched, fermented and decomposed (wink,wink).
Trash can be recycled, but only if it is valuable. Throw everything into the Padded Trash Can for Unicorn Droppings subforum and let it live its own life. If inteligent life sprouts (it is proven to actually work), then it can start knocking on the side of the can in Morse code to tell us that it's ready to get out and be invited into our parlor. Wipe your shoes first, please.

I would not ban the snake oil discussion. As mentioned earlier, people may come here with HHO and/or magnets not knowing any better. They read some threads and see that there is no hard evidence for, but quite a bit against, so they let it go. We can count how many people have tried to turn us into HHO fans, but who knows how many have understood that it's not worth diddly-squat thanks to reading what we had to say about it?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-31-2011 at 08:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-01-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
We need to find a balance here.
"The trash can" etc is a bit harsh.
Perhaps a subforum "Unproven Theories" may seem better.

Heck, I would've posted the thread about the tool box in the bed of my pickup there. I still can't find proof of why it helps.

We should welcome the new guys but not add to the hoaxes. While a thread may get closed, the electrons stay around and add to the Google searches for hoax ________.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #46 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
But much of the garbage isn't "unproven", it's proven to be garbage and it is a waste to rehash it ad infinitum.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm on a sports car homebuilders forum that was losing the signal-to-noise wars to these same characters (different people, but same characters) and it helped immensely when we added a "In theory it could work" forum. It seemed a neutral enough name that it didn't cause offense. I favor a bin, not a ban.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackMcCornack For This Useful Post:
Ang84Indy (02-01-2011), Christ (02-01-2011), Nevyn (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Sorry, Darin - Not reading the whole thread this time.

However, I implore you to consider that some of these threads, while providing comic relief for some, are also educative to others.

For instance - though there is no known science to back up the claims of improved engine characteristics through the use of magnets, et al on the fuel lines or other parts of a vehicle, one might consider it true or false in their own mind. Through looking and searching both online and in the annals of history, I'm sure, One might find that the "idea" has been disproven countless times.

History has already proven (repetitively) that repetition is a form of education - so the more times we disprove a theory or idea, the more likely it is that someone else will stumble upon that thread and enlighten themselves.

Plus, I feel like a ban on topics would be relative to censorship. Not a fan.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
Ang84Indy (02-01-2011), brucepick (02-01-2011), rmay635703 (03-14-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Against a ban, better to have a forum for such subject matter.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Ban ONLY the totally bunk topics. HHO, Fuel line magnets are all I can think of, otherwise let it roll.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread