Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone in south central TN?

yall,

i'm interested in vw diesels. i have a 1998 jetta tdi and while living in fla, i got ~120 mpg. i was able to use wvo in this unmodified car. 80% in summer, 50% in winter. a tank of b100 every 10k or so.

i can't do that hat trick in tn. it's too cold here.

i'm looking into either an old rabbit turbodiesel or caddy turbodiesel.

how are they for converting to 'grease'?

jim

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Is the "~120mpg" on diesel, vegetable Oil, or a combination?

*how long will it take WVO guys to realize that it doesn't work the way they are trying to say it does...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

`120 mpg on 80% wvo, 20% petro

since the car got ~40 mpg anyway, the extra wvo didn't decrease this and 80% of the fuel was free (aside from getting it and filtering out the chunks of food), i say ~120 mpg.

i did no modifications to the motor and achieved this result.

i have run into someone that insisted "mpg" referred only to the car/drive train rating, to which i say, 'get real'.

every 10k, i ran a tank or so of full strength biodiesel to dissolve all the accumulated veg oil gunk. biodiesel is an excellent solvent. as a matter of fact, the same stuff is a great oil based paintbrush cleaner.

the earth is in deep doo doo and what we have done in the past clearly does not work. for an example, look at earth.

different approaches are needed.

using wvo reduces most of the pollutants diesel produces. as an example, used fry grease has no (0) sulfur. sulfur makes sulfur dioxide. 80% of the fuel has 0% of a pollutant making substance.

aside from any pollution or mileage concerns, the car run better w/ wvo. smoother, quieter, cooler.

the notion that we can do the same things and expect different results is, well, not entirely rational.

>Is the "~120mpg" on diesel, vegetable Oil, or a combination?
80% wvo, 20% petro summer, 50/50 winter
>
>*how long will it take WVO guys to realize that it doesn't work the way >they are trying to say it does...

to that i say, within limits it *does* work the way we say it does.

there are some WVO, SVO, biodiesel folks who have, what i think of, is a too aggressive opinion of the 'gospel' according to alternative fuels.

may cooler heads prevail.

jim
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
brain party

88 toyota pick up - '88 toyota 1-ton truck
90 day: 39.79 mpg (US)
I am in Hickman CO. TN Just south of Nashville. I am sorry I cant find your new car but I am curious about your bio diesel. are you cooking it yourself or can you buy it somewhere?

I have a gas powered '88 toyota pickup getting nearly double factory mileage but I am interested in getting an older diesel to start experimenting with. I would love to talk more with you about this.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Here in Huntsville, we had a lady employee who drove a pickup truck with a grease trap, diesel tank. Certainly I have no problem with 'free fuel' but it raises the issue of whether E85 is 'free' too.

There is a term called 'money laundering' which means converting one type of funds into another. Some look at ethanol as converting farm diesel and petroleum fertilizer into 'free' ethanol ... a type of energy 'laundering.' It is one reason why I never cared for the hydrogen fool cell vehicles.

Bob Wilson
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

left tn

zepplin153,

in the battle between me and tn, i finally said uncle. i'm not a bubba, never will be. i left the state. you can't make it in tn unless you're a bubba.

in hohenwald there is a station that sells b99 (?). it's real expensive ($5/gal?) but it's the real deal.

hth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepplin153 View Post
I am in Hickman CO. TN Just south of Nashville. I am sorry I cant find your new car but I am curious about your bio diesel. are you cooking it yourself or can you buy it somewhere?

I have a gas powered '88 toyota pickup getting nearly double factory mileage but I am interested in getting an older diesel to start experimenting with. I would love to talk more with you about this.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
jimbo500 - 2 things got me puzzled about what you said so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo500
i'm interested in vw diesels. i have a 1998 jetta tdi and while living in fla, i got ~120 mpg. i was able to use wvo in this unmodified car. 80% in summer, 50% in winter. a tank of b100 every 10k or so.
1 - Am I correct in assuming you mean 120 mpg for every gallon of fuel(regardless of it's mixture) in an unmodified car? If that's the case, then WOW! Great Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo500 View Post
in the battle between me and tn, i finally said uncle. i'm not a bubba, never will be. i left the state. you can't make it in tn unless you're a bubba.
2 - I'm confused. Could you please clarify where you are at? Your location under your name says TN, yet you say you left....I guess this bubba is having a hard time contemplating the contradicting statements
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Green Metro - '99 Chevrolet Metro LSi Sedan
90 day: 32.78 mpg (US)

Metro Vert - '91 Geo Metro LSi Convertible
90 day: 50.52 mpg (US)
I believe he means 120 miles per gallon of purchased fuel(ie 1 gallon of diesel and 4 gallons of veg. oil) which I find to be a fake number, because going by that his car has a 4 gallon tank LOL I have been considering a CNG conversion, I could get infinite MPG via that logic since the CNG source would be waste and I wouldn't be using any petrol products.
I recently moved out of TN, but I lived just north of nashville for about 10 years. I go back a couple times a year for family. I have several geo metros myself, and get a true 50mpg (per gallon of fuel of any kind burned)

Reply  Post New Thread