Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #431 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I've been talking with my dad about making a hybrid between BZP and bondo's caps. It would have a wooden structure with long, thin strakes while the skin would be an old billboard stretched and stapled down like a painting canvas. This construction would make it easier to match the shape of the 60's truck cab and the template but would make it more difficult to install, remove or open to insert cargo.

Do the Masters have any thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #432 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Lots of planes flew and canoes floated - both well and from fabric over frame construction. Between patch mesh frame and stretchability of fabric compound curvature can be achieved better than sheets of coroplast, foamboard, luan, aluminum, etc. The devil is always in the details but the basic idea has merit. Rock on!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #433 (permalink)
T-100 Road Warrior

BZP T-100 (2010) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 24 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2011) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 23.66 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2009) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 19.01 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2012) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 25.45 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2013) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 25.79 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2014) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.18 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2015) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.85 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2016) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 17.62 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2017) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.78 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2018) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2019) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

BZP T-100 (2020) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

2012 Scion iQ - '12 Scion iQ Base
Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to BamZipPow
Like all adventures...you have to set goals and be willing to make some compromises based on design/costs. My aero cap is strictly fer learning/testing while keeping costs down as much as possible. I use hot glue to fill in the previous screw holes in the Coroplast when I have to keep it as water resistant as possible.

My current design allows me to "adjust" all the pieces since it's screwed/bolted together. Once I find the right design (fer me)...then I can move on to something more permanent and secure.

Like bondo's cap...I wanted a similar design that was very modular and could be taken apart.
The hatch is removable to allow fer taller items (like bondo's).
The hatch can be raised/locked in various positions to allow safe covered travel/camping (like bondo's)...but I don't have anything to cover the gaps when the hatch is raised...yet.
The aero cap is held securely in place with only 4 bolts through the stake pockets which would allow me to remove it fairly quickly.
My aero cap can be disassembled into 5 parts (6...if you count the cab cover)...the hatch, the 2 sides, the gap cover, and the top support...and be easily carried in the truck bed or stored in a corner of the garage.

Work with materials yer best familiar with and yer willing to sacrifice...unless yer first attempt is yer final attempt.

Be willing to accept that some designs aren't gonna work very well and learn from it.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #434 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am really awaiting this for my truck. Do we even have a rough estimate of what a non-painted product is going to cost?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #435 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Your construction methodology looks good Sven7. Be sure to build it sound for there are alot of forces exerted on a truck cap going down the freeway at 70 miles per hour.

I am sure you and your father will be able to build a nice aerocap. The best part is getting it out on the road and testing it. I agree with BZP to use materials and methods you are familiar with which from the picture you posted you guys know what you are doing.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Bondo
Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #436 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutytd View Post
I am really awaiting this for my truck. Do we even have a rough estimate of what a non-painted product is going to cost?
Superdutytd, I do not have a price as of yet to quote you but you will be one of the first people I contact when things get going. Thank you for your patience. 2012 may well be the year of the Aerolid.

Bondo
Old 01-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #437 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
cap

If you could cut away most of the station bulkheads,leaving only a 'harp' section for which to attach the stringers,it would open up space within and dramatically lighten the structure.
Bulkheads could also be steam bent glue-up laminations as in canoe building.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #438 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

aero - I agree. I think they are making it WAAAAAAAY too complicated.

Build a template out of conduit, lay some thin plywood over it and pull it down. Then fiberglass over it.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #439 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Superdutytd, I do not have a price as of yet to quote you but you will be one of the first people I contact when things get going. Thank you for your patience. 2012 may well be the year of the Aerolid.

Bondo
PM sent. Put me on the same contact list, please.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #440 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

4 Year Anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I have much respect for Bondo and aerohead too but when they make an fe claim from one long highway trip I cringe.

You've seen how I wigged out when Truck Trend did the same thing...
Foremost, let me thank Darin (metrompg) for starting this thread 4 years ago today. The fine people I have met here on ecomodder and all the support they have given me has kept me going in the pursuit of getting the Aerolid to market. Again, my thanks to Darin for all the hard work he has done in creating and in keeping up and running this fine web page dedicated to fuel efficiency.

I quote Frank because I too can cringe. ABA tests are a valid exceptable format, by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and others. As we have read in the news recently with the lawsuit against Honda by Honda hybrid owners who say Honda has made false claims as the the real world fuel efficiency of the hybrid they produce, fuel efficiency claims can be subjective a best.

This brings me to the cringe point. When one logs on to ecomodder, maybe for the first time, the third highlighted story on the home page is Fubeca's Silverado aerocap thread. The headline reads a gain of 4% in fuel efficiency as calibrated in an ABA test. An ABA test needs to have, as Darin has stated many times, "controlled as possible" conditions and calibratrions.

Temperature along with wind speed and direction, along with terrain, define conditions. Optimum conditions are calm winds and warm air temperature on flat ground. Cold and windy atmospheric conditions can greatly effect the calibration of an ABA test.

It is not my intention to bring Fubeca into a matter to which he has no fault. I only mean to state that the report of a 4% increase in fuel efficiency of his aerocap is invalid due to the atmospheric conditions of Fubeca's ABA test were far from ideal, air temperature of 10 degrees with a 10 to 15 mile per hour cross wind.

Again, fuel efficiency claims are subjective. We live in the real world. Some days atmospheric conditions are ideal for any type of testing, ABA or over the road tests, and some days conditions are lousy.

I must now make claim to a road test I completed over the Labor Day weekend last year. I purchased a set of running boards from an individual online and saved on the purchase price by driving from Little Rock to Johnson City, Tennessee to pick them up, a distance of 1300.8 miles round trip. Maybe I didn't save that much since it took me 52.15 gallons of gas to get there and back, but what a great opportunity for a road test. In addition, the test was made not with the Aerolid alone, but with the new extension box that sets on the open tailgate attached. Just wanted to make this qualification. If one wants to see what the Aerolid gets by itself in additonal fuel efficiency, check out the fuel log of my good friend round.boater at the link below. I realize the same percentage of gain with my truck with the Aeroid alone also, much better than 4%.

2006 Ford F-150 STX Gas Mileage (gear hauler) - EcoModder.com

I took two days to drive to Johnson City and back, again a total distance of 1300.8 miles. Atmoshperic conditions were light and varible winds for the entire trip with an average air temperature of around 87 degrees. The terrain was generally flat with some hilly areas encountered in Tennessee.

On the first leg, a distance of 644.7 miles was driven. Upon refueling in Johnson City, it took 26.6 gallons to fill up the 26 gallon tank I have on my 2009 F150. This equates to 24.23 mpg, a 22.1% increase in fuel efficency over the 20mpg highway the EPA rates my truck at.

On the return leg, I duct taped close the gap between the Aerolid and the extension box on the tailgate. On this return trip, I drove 656.1 miles and put in 25.55 gallons of gas to fill my 26 gallon tank back up upon arriving back in Little Rock. This works out to 25.68 mpg, a 28.4% increase over the 20 mpg rating for highway travel claimed by Ford for my truck.

Included are scans of the two receipts from the time I fueled up in Johnson City upon arriving there and the second fuel up when I got back home. Notice one receipt has "no gap seal" written on it and the other has "gap seal". I also include some picture of my truck with the extention box ducted taped up I took minutes after I arived at my house.

The point of this post is to show all types of tests, ABA, road tests, etc., used to calibrate the effectiveness of aerodynamic modifications have merit. Bottom line is I cannot misrepresent this road test because I could not have gone 644.7 miles on the first leg with my truck in baseline configuration on a 26 gallon tank ( with just getting 20mpg would have taken 32.2 gallons nor could I have gone 656.1 miles on a 26 gallon tank on the leg back which would have taken 32.8 gallons of gas). I would have run out of gas!

In closing, I have a shared respect for Frank and Darin as I do for all here on ecomodder who share our common interest to achieve the best fuel efficiency we can in our vehicles. This is good for the environment and for our national security to reduce our countries reliance on foriegn oil. I salute you all.

I do ask, since this may well be the year the Aerolid finally gets into production, that a qualifying statement is added to Fubeca's Silverado aerocap thread as it appears on the home page here on ecomodder which states the 4% increase in fuel efficiency gain calibrated by the ABA test is subjective at best because it was performed in very adverse atmospheric conditions.

This may greatly help a potential customer who is considering buying an Aerolid to be truthfully informed as to what type of feul efficiency they may expect to achieve by mounting an Aerolid on the bed of thier truck. I will welcome the day when the Aerolid goes on the market. I will be able to help sponsor this fine web page that Darin has worked his heart out on by advertising on it.

Sincerely,

Bondo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0010.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	10012   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0109.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	10013   Click image for larger version