Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This thread is being started to take all the non-relevant off topic posts off MPaulHolmes 3 phase controller build thread.

Would/could a moderator move ALL the BAS E-assist information from the 3 phase controller thread, into this thread ? Thank you.

Further discussion input on my part will proceed once the moderators have cleaned up the other thread. Anyone that wants to participate on this topic or relevant topics, feel free to do so.

The first page is all copies from the old thread.

===================================

WOW, what a thread. I finally got through all 306 pages, reading 5-10 pages at a time, until my old eyes crossed. I know nothing about electronics, but, can hold my own with mechanicals. I was hoping the topics would drift just a little bit further off course, and get some discussion going about programming a switched reluctance induction motor, in a lower voltage scenario.

I am of the "jungle with a hand drill" crowd, as Paul said, but, have a few more tools, machines. Down here, in the jungles of Costa Rica, there are hundreds of motorcycles of the 125cc-150cc range. Gasoline hovers around $6.00/gallon. My goal is to produce electric conversions for the locals.

I have built a homemade moto using a hub motor and Chevy Volt 83V battery. Hub motors are too low KV to climb hills very well. Controllers take a beating.

My plan, if ANYONE would be interested, is to try to get a controller working for the E-assist alternator, which can put out over 20 HP at 55v and expected 30+ HP at 72V. I have been in contact with a guy in Spain that has verified these figures. He also wanted to build a controller and I tried to get Lebowski to see about recoding his chip, but, like Paul, he is very busy. These motors are relatively inexpensive for the HP potential.

I know a couple of the posters here also are members of other forums and are very well educated with home built controllers.

If anyone would be interested in working on this, I will gladly start a new thread and supply a motor in the states for whoever would need one to figure out the code.

I also have a step grandson here, who is crazy interested in electronics and no one knows how to build OR repair controllers. I have bought him a started list of stuff so he can get into the electronics and his sister is working on getting into electronics engineering, so, this could be a great future for these two.

Any takers on trying to do this, hopefully ??

Thanks and a great big thanks for all the active members-testers in this thread, especially Paul, things to do and eclipse.

Harold in CR

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
I wasn't too concerned about the RPMs, as that can be compensated with pulley sizes. And with ruggedized and cooled electrical circuits you can lug right down to 0rpm.

My intent is to visit the local Buick dealer. They won't know anything but maybe there will be an example on the lot.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I just found out that we have possibly 2 Ford C-max controllers that I thought had been discarded and was given the Hyundai controller my buddy has, besides the Honda controller I had recently bought.

Should have enough parts at least, to make 1 good controller, maybe more.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Do you have an example of the motor/generator?

I just stopped by a Buick dealer and they let me look under the hood of a LaCrosse. The unit appears to be 8" in diameter and 8" overall. There was a lot of paraphernalia in the way, but it looks like the cooling and electrical connections are on the rear face; which means I couldn't just scab a stock VW cooling fan onto it.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

freebeard
The encoder/resolver is on the back end of the altermotor. There is no room for a fan.

Rig up a belt drive fan off the front shaft/pulley. Might need a jackshaft to do it.

Oh. VW. Forgot how they work. Fan on generator. Let me check around how others do it.

edit--Ummm, why do you need air cooling if you change out the engine for an altermotor ?? Cabin heating, maybe ?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've been looking around.

http://www.carscoops.com/2011/09/buick-launces-eassist-version-of.html

Quote:
The starter/generator is liquid cooled and has its own radiator and electric pump. The small radiator is mounted behind the engine coolant radiator near the top. The pump is operated with a relay that controls the power side of the pump circuit. It’s a simple on/off circuit, so the pump has only one speed. The coolant temperature sensor is a familiar negative-temperature-coefficient (NTC) thermistor connected to the control module’s 5-volt reference signal, but it’s built into the starter/generator and cannot be replaced.
https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/...oling-systems/

Potential gotcha in italics.

If it it center-mounted like a Porsche alternator, there might be room to run a jackshaft past to the stock fan. Else there is the Type III crank-mounted fan.

If that long junction box can lay flat face down against the top of the case it would make a tidy install and route the wiring forward without impeding the cooling.

How are the motorcycle conversions going? I was reminded when I saw this on JACG:

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-new-thing-for-me-to-see-on-back-of.html
Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That cutaway photo is the early model Gen 1. It has small magnets jammed between the rotor claws and is very under powered for it's designated use. You trying to build an E-assist system ?

You want the Gen 2 like in the video you posted.
Later today I will start a new thread with actual testing info sent to me from Spain.

Hopefully we can get the info from this thread transferred or copied to the new thread.

I'm up to my eyeballs in projects and hampered by the rainy season just getting started. Have not even ridden my home built moto this year or worked on the reverse trike.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

We're just coming out of our too-cold-to-spray-paint season.

If your source in Spain can provide specifics, how about the dimensions — overall and the mounting points. Then I could mock up something and fit it to a spare engine I have on the bench.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cracker - '90 Honda CRX HF
that motor

Seems that motor is putting out roughly 23hp and 5 ft/lb torque according to the difference from year to year, does that sound about right?
Buick’s 37mpg 2012 LaCrosses with eAssist Priced at $30,820, New V6 with 303HP also Available

Nevermind, wiki has the answer!
At the LA Auto Show, on November 15, 2010, General Motors announced that it would be releasing an all-new version of the BAS system available in the 2012 Buick LaCrosse.[8] While still a Belted Alternator Starter system, the system is named eAssist and includes a larger more powerful Hitachi-supplied[citation needed] 115 Volt Lithium Ion battery and a 15 kW (20 hp) motor-generator that delivers 79 lb·ft (107 N·m) of torque.

Are these sold in america?! If so, seems like a great way to either hybrid your gasser or turn a motorcycle/scooter or hella fast bicycle!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There's one on the lot downtown; and I agree (except the bicycle part).

Reply  Post New Thread