Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maxima - '02 Nissan Maxima GLE
people are nutz, and i really try to tame down any antics, dont be an a$$hole to an a$$hole,

u never know what loon will have a gun, it happens.... poor guy this year died on the way to seeing his new born baby over road rage ( it wasn't eco driving but still)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Very few people mess with me these days, I think everybody on I-4 knows my Insight by now

For the few that decide to ride inches off my bumper I've found a pretty effective way to back them off a bit. This will work for anybody with an Insight and a Daox three-button shift knob

I can hit the regen button on my shift knob and it turns on the brake lights without affecting the speed as long as I stay on the gas. So I'll start by hitting the button three or four times, and if that doesn't back them off I just drop down into third, punch the gas hard and hit the brake button at the same time. It's kind of a reverse brake check, instead of slowing down I actually speed up.

That has never failed once
love all the ideas, very creative,

i still dont brake check in general any more, its the most a$$hole move u can do, so u are just being the same to those who ride ur back.

i will never forget a couple months ago this lady brake checked me, and she had the pity me "baby on board sticker", what a nut !
Old 10-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hybrid Pancake - '03 Honda Civic Hybrid
Team Honda
90 day: 56.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
enough said, happens more than 50% of time , and i am not even hyper miling just right hand lane, staying smooth on throttle and avoiding braking.
Hate to break it to ya, but that is hypermiling

Old 10-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
What he said.

Add in a semi 2 seconds in front of you running lead blocker the whole drive on the highway and that was pretty much my hypermiling method in a nutshell

Old 10-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #75 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Odd, how simply driving smoothly will smoke the EPA ratings that are generally considered unattainable pipe dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #76 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Yup, and that's why I love bashing the latest EPA ratings regimen.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #77 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
I broke my car's official consumption it is taxed after, and I drive my car HARD.

but still, I get passed a lot because my car's brand is looked down upon.

I even drive 1-2mph over the limit

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #78 (permalink)
'07 Toyota Matrix - 36MPG

Small Red - '07 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 37.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't think it's just hypermilers people get mad at. People get mad at fast drivers, people get mad at going with the flow drivers, people get mad at slow drivers.
A certain quote comes to mind...

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

--George Carlin

Last edited by MPGee; 10-12-2016 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Trimmed quote for relevancy.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #79 (permalink)
'07 Toyota Matrix - 36MPG

Small Red - '07 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 37.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campisi View Post
I drive the speed limit when there is only one lane but when there's passing lanes I'll drop to 5 below. I'm very cognizant of drivers coming up behind me, mergers etc and adjust speeds and lanes to try to make life as comfortable as possible for everyone. I still get people that will fly by me at light speed cuz they were delayed by 1 second to get to the next traffic light.
I notice that I am treated very differently depending on which car I'm driving. I have an old beat up 94 Nissan D21 pickup that I can drive at 55 in a 65 and no one gets pissed but if I try that in my wife's Lexus or my newer more modern looking car people get their panties in a wad. I think they just figure that the old dude who can barely afford to even drive (the D21) has enough problems to deal with - cut him some slack!
My rules of engagement are similar:
  • On a one-lane road, drive the speed limit
  • On a multi-lane freeway, drive 60 MPH in the right most lane
  • On freeways, follow a "slow" big rig. (No one bothers me for going slow...)
  • On surface streets, I drive the speed limit
  • Anywhere where there is no traffic behind me, I slow to 5-10MPH under the speed limit.

When I first really got into hypermiling, I was trying to time it to just roll to a stop as I hit the stop sign or light.. I quickly discovered that people did not like this approach.. lol. I have since migrated to my above approach. It saves me a lot of grief, and possibly, dangerous situations.

Middle fingers and cussing is one thing. Being dangerously passed is another. And having a gun pulled on you is another that I really do not care to have happen.. It hasn't happened to me, but a good friend of mine told me about a scary incident that occurred a few months ago:

He was waiting to turn right on a yield. Someone in an F150 behind him was aggressively inching his truck forward and honking. My friend did not see it as safe to go yet, so he didn't. The guy in the F150 kept honking and creeping forward more and more, and also began yelling at the top of his longs. When it eventually freed up, my friend gassed it (he's not a hypermiler), and at the next light, which is red, a humungous dude in the F150 pulls up next to my friend and is yelling at him and pointing a gun at him. Thankfully, the guy did not pull the trigger.

And with regards to people not tailgating w/ certain car types, I notice that people generally don't tailgate me when I'm driving my parent's SUV or truck, vs when I'm driving my Toyota Matrix. I speculate that a large part of this is due to the simple fact that it's a lot harder to see around (or through) these tall boxes on wheels, so their chances of rear-ending that vehicle are higher significantly. In my much smaller (and shorter) Toyota Matrix, people can see over/through it much easier...

And I'm guessing you guys have heard of Wayne Gerdes, of cleanmpg.com, who gets 50 MPGs in a bone-stock Honda Accord? I'm guessing he gets a lot of middle-fingers and aggressive passing... I can't picture myself driving similarly.

Last edited by MPGee; 10-12-2016 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed messy pronoun usage.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pancake View Post
i guess u r right ! hahaha

Reply  Post New Thread