Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Very few people mess with me these days, I think everybody on I-4 knows my Insight by now

For the few that decide to ride inches off my bumper I've found a pretty effective way to back them off a bit. This will work for anybody with an Insight and a Daox three-button shift knob

I can hit the regen button on my shift knob and it turns on the brake lights without affecting the speed as long as I stay on the gas. So I'll start by hitting the button three or four times, and if that doesn't back them off I just drop down into third, punch the gas hard and hit the brake button at the same time. It's kind of a reverse brake check, instead of slowing down I actually speed up.

That has never failed once

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
I prefer the "stink bug approach" for tailgaters.

I slow down and allow them room to get past as soon as it is safe. If this fails, then accelerate hard to about 30kmh faster then stand on the brakes to the point of hitting the ABS to wipe off this speed. In the RX, this gives the tailgater a spectacular view of the rear differential and suspension, especially if they are in a low sports car.

This process is only reserved for the recalcitrant tailgater that refuses to pass and is tailgating just to intimidate.

Simon
Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #63 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
What ! ? ! ?
You guys never heard of Sean Connery at his best, when driving the modified Aston Martin ?

An old colostomy bag should be PERFECT for dropping impurities in front of the impatient individual �� !
How can that person prove pre-meditated waste recycling ?
Just CAN'T ! HAHAHAHA ��
Old 10-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
Studying Brick economics

Tahoe - '04 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 12.27 mpg (US)
Usually hitting the windshield wiper spray causes a big mist for me. Enough to trigger them to have the wipe off there windshield. They usually realize they are too close after we share windshield washer fluid.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #65 (permalink)
2005 Insight

2005 insight vs 2013 volt repsect

I usually drive my little 2005 insight to work and I always stay in the right lane behind a slow car if possible otherwise 70mph. I can not believe how many people drive very fast right up to my bumper then finally swing over and pass in the empty left lane.
Had a chance to drive my wifes Volt for a week on same route and what a difference! I drove the same way as above, never above 70. Much more respect for the bigger volt, no one tailgated and then swung out in left lane flooring it.
Note:
The Volt is such a nicer car to drive 30 miles one way to work. I cost me 29 cents to go to and from work each day (I could plug in at work-yes). However the Insight is more fun as there is more thinking and skill involved to hit +70mpg. cost= $1.97 a day.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't have any problems by driving at or lower than the speed limit, which is about the extent of my hypermiling except for the normal coasting instead of accelerating to a red light or stop signs, etc.

I always achieve much better mpgs than predicted by the EPA, currently registering 43 mpgs overall with my '15 automatic Mazda3 over the past 20K miles.

Like others, I find it helpful to "team up" with another slower driver in front of me, which gives me a bit of a psychological boost because if I wasn't slowing the superspeeders down, that other guy would be doing it anyway.

In any case, unless I am breaking the law by going below a minimum speed or something like that, I don't really care if I make somebody mad because I don't fit their criteria for proper driving speed. If they hit me, I'll replay the event as recorded on the dash cam for the judge. If they don't hit me, then they aren't hurting me and I don't care what they do.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #67 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Nobody tailgated Dad's F150 when when I drove 55 in a 65.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 AM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Especially effective with pickups is a shotgun hanging from the rack. You'd probably get pulled over with an AK showing.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #69 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I don't go for displaying weapons. If a vet license plate and a unit patch in the right corner of the backglass don't say enough, then you've got someone who just won't be told no matter what you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 10-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maxima - '02 Nissan Maxima GLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
My favorite is when they fly past me at a red light and I pass them when it turns green.
enough said, happens more than 50% of time , and i am not even hyper miling just right hand lane, staying smooth on throttle and avoiding braking.

it sucks cuz if i allow too much distance in front of me the nutz come over to the right lane, if they see space they think they can take and utilize it for speeding more.

Reply  Post New Thread