Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciderbarrel View Post
100 MPG...1 gallon per 100 miles. Yikes.

I do not think that is possible unless it was dead of night, on the highway, with lots of turning off of the engine. Any sort of idling (lights, stop signs) is going to KILL ya. More power to you if you can do it safely.
When I look at a gallon jug, I think it's possible. 1 Gallon is a lot of fuel. You'd think we'd already have vehicles that could do 100 miles for that whole gallon! I'm used to a long commute, been doing it since I was 10 (almost 15 years). So 100 miles also doesn't seem like that far.

One note to point out. The only way you'd be able to do 100 MPG with any fully gasoline vehicle today, is to EOC A LOT!! If you EOC 50% of the distance, the other half, you need to get 50 MPG.

The other night I actually ran out of enough battery juice to not be able to use the starter! YAY!! That means I'm doing something right! Kind of a milestone for me! (I only had the car sitting with the lights on for less then a minuet, so it was pretty low.)
I was with a friend, who was driving RAVadoodle, and my first thought was to grab the jumper cables. Lol. Old habits die hard. I got as far as popping the hood before remembering that I CAN bump start! DUHHH! My little go cart (CRX) is so easy to push around and start. (WHEN I HAVE THE KEY ON!! It was a really late night!) My point for mentioning this, was it was a reminder to me to bump start in parking lots more. Any time I can safely.

Oh I'm LOVIN' my manual!!

I'll be filling up in a couple of hours! I'm excited to see what I've been getting!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrefugeisintheLord View Post
One note to point out. The only way you'd be able to do 100 MPG with any fully gasoline vehicle today, is to EOC A LOT!! If you EOC 50% of the distance, the other half, you need to get 50 MPG.
If you're a super hypermiler 100mpg is possible under continuous P&G. On the other hand, two things will help you if you're not. Better aero and LRR tires will extend the ratio of pulse to glide past 50% meaning you'd only have to pulse at 40mpg or less for 60% coast which sounds more doable. The second is getting as much weight out of the car as you can so pulsing uses less fuel.

Jethro, i think its very doable especially since your running a diesel. You can get BSFC efficiencies in your pulse far higher than any gasoline engine. I think somewhere around 40% efficient? Plus Diesel has more energy to boot!

If you find some Insight wheels, I have two good tires i'd sell to you. Otherwise, Costco is the best place to buy tires from.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
100 mpg

Many of the mpg 'records' of the past were set at 50 mph.And above that speed,mpg fell precipitously.
If you could run at around the old double-nickel speed,I think you'd have a strong shot at 100.
Fully warmed up,on a warm,calm,dry day,on as level a route as you could find,running at as constant speed as possible would be requisite for a chance.
Mobil Economy Challenge winners would allow speed to fall on climbs,and a little over-speed on descents.But steady speed on flatland.
100 mpg at 50 mph would be nothing to be embarrassed about.
Other motorists will hate your speed and share the one-finger salute as you impede their journey.Gotta love 'em!
I'll be rooting for you.
I cringe every day I commute in the truck,knowing that this could be the day when' Barbie' or' Ken' creamed 8-years of my work.
Sorry to hear about the traffic 'Kiss.'
I've learned to keep my lug nuts tight but I have no control over the 'other guy.'
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Last fill, 521 miles, I hit 70.2 MPG. No mods other then kill switch, keeping tire pressure up, no right mirror, and right wiper removed. Still only 63.25% above EPA. I have a LOT of hypermiling techniques to get better at!

Last edited by myrefugeisintheLord; 03-31-2013 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: fixed right/left error. Lol, the OTHER left!! ;)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Lots of respect for you and your CRX. We had another 12 inch snow storm during my last tank. 57mpg but still going up. On a brighter note, it's finally starting to warm up now. Hopefully no more snow and some EOC.

Just for clarification, the sides of the car are as if you are sitting in the drivers seat. Did you mean right side (passenger sided in the US) wiper and mirror delete?

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #36 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Lol, it's been a LONG few days, and short nights! Thanks for pointing out that error.

I understand your frustration with the weather!
It was pretty warm today, might have reached the upper 50s. I could tell my coasting distance was being helped by the warmer temps. It's SOOO cool to have the engine off, more then on!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Just an NA. 54 screaming ponies( when new). I like the engine as is. I know that electronic injection and turbo charging do make for a more efficient engine( being a Freightliner tech.), but this is what I have.
Jethro,

I have a VW TD engine in my garage. It's 1.6 TD 70HP with fully mechanical pump. I have IC lying around somewhere too. I can give all of that as a tribute to your 100 MPG goal for this summer. You just need to cover shipping. Don't have an idea how much that can be.

That engine was rebuild completely by me few years ago with new pistons, rings, head was machined,new injectors etc. It runs great and My father was able to squeze 57MPG in his Golf without any hypermilling or mods. He has a very heavy foot rather. With a tall geared 020 gearbox I'm sure you will be able to go easily for 70+ without P&G, just aero and LRR tyres.

Let me know your thoughts ;-)

Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed for your goal and success.
I'd love to reach 70+ tank this summer in Berta.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrzejM For This Useful Post:
JethroBodine (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Nothing would make me happier than to have an engine put together by someone who knows what they're doing. I'll look into shipping costs and get back to you. Thanks for the offer.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

I hope you guys don't think I'm being a kill joy, but I'm pulling out of the competition. I'm having tranny issues and I want to spend more time focusing on driving my manual better anyway. Foundation first!
By saying that I'm dropping out, helps me to mentally take that off my plate, which is overflowing at the moment...

By next Summer I'm sure I'll be that much closer to actually having 100 MPG a reality. Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
No problemo. Sounds like a well thought out decision to me.

Congrats on the 70+ tank though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Many of the mpg 'records' of the past were set at 50 mph.And above that speed,mpg fell precipitously.
... 100 mpg at 50 mph would be nothing to be embarrassed about.
That's my plan! Recipe: lean burn, boat tail, various other mods, all at 80 km/h posted limit (50 mph). I'm sure it'll happen. Honda made it almost easy with the Insight as a starting point.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread