Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Hand throttle - redneck style...

I have been wanting to do this mod ever since I first read how Basjoos had added a hand throttle to the aerocivic for precise throttle control . So here's how I built mine.

I decided to use a bicycle hand brake and cable. The bicycle hand brake was mounted to the emergence brake handle as it is very easy to reach and allows for a comfortable hand position.

In my case, the emergence brake handle's diameter was much larger than the handle bar opening in the hand brake. In order to fit the handle, the clamp on the hand brake was cut off. A hole was then drilled thru the remaining brake body. Then a short length of plumbers strapping was bent around the emergence brake and a bolt was then used to secure it in place.

Next came connecting it to the throttle pedal. In order to make it easy, the throttle pedal assembly was unbolted from the firewall and removed from the car. A hole was then drilled 2x-3x the inner cable diameter size below the existing OEM cable. Then a hacksaw was then used to make a slit so the cable could be installed. The cable was then measured and cut. A barrel cable stop was attached and the throttle pedal assembly was then reinstalled. The outer cable is then attached to a anchor point which will allow the pedal to be depressed by the hand lever when pulled. In my case, a rubber cable clamp was used with electrical tape wrapped around the outer cable housing to keep it from pulling through.

(the rubber cable clamp and electrical tape give it a mushy feel so I would suggest a more ridged mount. I will correct mine in the future)

*** UPDATE ***

The new anchor point.

So, what's it like driving with?

I like it...

I like the way I can accelerate to my target speed with the foot pedal then take over with the hand throttle. If I'm cruising along and need to speed up for a moment, all that is required is to push the foot pedal a little, then let up and continue along at my preset hand controlled speed. This allows one to practice what is known as DWL (driving with load) easily.

We all know that best fuel economy is usually achieved when trying to imagine having a egg shell between your foot and the accelerator pedal without crushing it.

This mod does exactly that, it gives precise throttle control.

One could argue that so does their foot.

However, this is much more comfortable in my opinion. When on a long trip my leg would get tired because I was using a large group of muscles to maintain position of the pedal. Where as using my hand to maintain throttle position is much easier and uses less muscles to do the same job. Not to mention you can switch between the two options to reduce fatigue.

This mod is a winner in my book...

>

Last edited by redneck; 06-09-2013 at 03:33 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (09-14-2014), mcrews (06-07-2013), mikeyjd (06-07-2013), OG VX (09-26-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Interesting. I've also been lurking about it, but I'd rather get one of those ring-shaped throttle hand controls to be attached to the back of the steering wheel, widely used by disabled drivers.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Nice work, looks good. I really like that you have the option to use either the foot pedal or hand lever. I wonder if there is a way to do something similar, but allows you to lock the throttle position on the hand part. This way you wouldn't have to hold your hand there the whole time, you would just put it where you want and lock it. You would still be able to accelerate with your foor pedal and if you need to brake just unlock it and apply the brakes. I think this would be ideal for long highway trips.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
I had, breifly, looked at the thumb throttle that 4X4 offroaders use on the gear shift.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
I had, breifly, looked at the thumb throttle that 4X4 offroaders use on the gear shift.
I've seen it in an F-550 and in a Fiat Uno before.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
Nice work, looks good. I really like that you have the option to use either the foot pedal or hand lever. I wonder if there is a way to do something similar, but allows you to lock the throttle position on the hand part. This way you wouldn't have to hold your hand there the whole time, you would just put it where you want and lock it. You would still be able to accelerate with your foor pedal and if you need to brake just unlock it and apply the brakes. I think this would be ideal for long highway trips.
Basjoos hand throttle lever I believe used friction like a farm tractor throttle to hold it at the desired speed. There are however, many ways to do this as each vehicle will require a little different approach.

On the highway it's great. Even around town it's good.

You could use a gear shifter from a old 10 speed bike. They had friction levers that you could adjust the amount of tension to hold the bike in gear.

I may do that in the future. But for right now, I'm liking how easy and natural this feels. It takes very little effort to hold it at the desired speed.

>
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Cool mod. I imagine the highway driving would be improved quite a bit indeed.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
So, you hold it while the brake lever is down, or is the parking brake broken?

(I think locking the throttle position would be a safety issue unless hitting the brake unlocked it automatically)
Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I think locking the throttle position would be a safety issue unless hitting the brake unlocked it automatically
That's how some of the devices used by disabled drivers work
Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I think locking the throttle position would be a safety issue unless hitting the brake unlocked it automatically
I was thinking the same thing. If I ever did something like this (which I might eventually) I would find a way to lock it and have it unlock automatically when I press the clutch in (just like my cruise control does).

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Reply  Post New Thread