Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
I just consider insulters as lesser humans, which opinions are meaningless, "go on, laugh cattle, it is your loss".

Perhaps not nicest thing to do, but is insulting then nice?

Of course technically that makes me as bad as them, but it does not bother me as I'm so tired of how at least in here where I live, hardly anyone thinks outside the box anymore.

However I think that local people are getting already adjusted as after the winter I put new Kamm and no odd looks or anything like that so far...

Oh one thing is that I don't even consider that my car looks good, I don't even desire it to look good, it is a tool that works, it does not need to look good, so when one kid shouted cool looking car with laughter, I told him to go check his eyes, that ugly thing can't look good and then there were a silence with mouths open, which is typical commoner reaction to something they would had never considered as option being slammed right to their faces.

Well, maybe it is just that I'm not the nicest person

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It sounds like you were like ordained to do this much earlier in life than most of us.

A lot of us used to be fuel wasting hot-rodders who have come 180 degrees.

Peer pressure WAS that ugly time in Junior High. You are an adult now! You are above such nonsense!

Sure I've been laughed at. I used to bracket drag race a '63 Nova my Dad gave me.

I duct-taped the spot where the rear bumper ends on the side quarter panel so the air would flow smoother. The guys in the tech line laughed it up. I got the idea from Hot Rod Magazine itself!

Later, on different jobs, always group attacks showing how nerdy you are.

We are turtles here, and we come with hard shells that repel the nasties!

Have you forgotten that you have one? You could work all your life at trying to make people like you. Realize that its not going to happen for the most part.
We are not a majority.

That's why its special to belong here on Ecomodder so that there IS someone that understands, and that you are not the ONLY one!!!

I am highly impressed about one guy on here trying to do his best hypermiling in the mean town of Chicago! I'm sure he doesn't have many fans.

Time to buck up my friend; do, or die; wear the shell, or wimp out.
It's your life, and you have to face yourself in the mirror every day!!!!!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
I guess one needs to belive in himself to be able to "not care" what others say or do. Mcurrent car isn't funny looking with aero mods but if it was i would react the same way i do when I tell others they can save 20% on your fuel bill if you drive smarter, so they laugh and say they don't have time to drive slow or they don't mind paying more...I just say, no problem, suit yourself and it doesn't hurt me that others may laugh at what i do.
I believe what i'm doing is right, it's not hurting anyone and you just need to do the same, take pride in your interests and everything that is yours.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Old Mechanic and Metro have the right of it. Laughter has always been my most powerful weapon/friend, and baby steps are definitely a good route to take. Honestly, I don't get attacked verbally, even when approached by small groups of obviously confrontational people. That may be, in some small part, because I look like a big-scary-biker with a couple "stoopid stamps" on my arms, but I'd like to think it's mostly because I try to meet people( who are obviously walking toward the car to find out what the heck I'm driving) with a smile and witty response. I've met quite a few really cool people, who may even be reading this right now as I always try to fit Ecomodder into the conversation somewhere, and would never have met them without the tail on the car. Maybe I've even showed a few people a new path to walk. Who knows. I still have yet to see video or pics of my car on another forum with the usual " This moron actually drives this POS on the road" line under it, even though there have been HUNDREDS of both taken.

Everyone has to walk there own path. If you want to put a tail on your car, do it. If someone wants to make fun of it, let them. Personally, I'm my own worst critic. There isn't ANYTHING that anyone can say to me that I haven't already said to/ about myself.

P.S. I do appreciate the irony of your new avatar pic, Cd-cassette!!!

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Having to deal with what people think is a part of life............until you discover the freedom of not caring what people think.

The people that changed the world and pushed life back and made it bend in different ways had to come to the conclusion that in order to succeed you will get persecuted for it. That's just truth. Einstein, Hucho, Jesus Christ, your best engineers, etc. all got attacked by "the experts" and ."the leaders" of society because they brought something different, new, unusual that threatened the establishment.

I deal with insults with humor, and as long as I tell the joke on me first, no one else has the power to do so.

What's funny about nerds, geeks, anoraks is that the genius is there, the power is there to change the world. The problem lies in confidence, competence and the ability to be cool ( which is all marketing ).

Put an aero freak of a vehicle together and folks laugh. Laugh with them, and let them know it was intentional. Then blow their minds with what it can do. To stop the laughter, change the execution. Pull it together and make it look good. Keep it an aero freak but proper, tasteful, stylish. Then they go, "whoa how'd you do that?"

Either way, the power is in your hands, not theirs

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleanspeed1 For This Useful Post:
CigaR007 (04-13-2012), NachtRitter (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Cd -

I forgot to say that the ones that laugh at you are actually doing you a favor. They are giving you a clue as to what kind of person they are.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
3-Wheeler (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It's not about justifying aeromodding's worth, it's about being comfortable with being a geek. A cheerful "I know it's stupid, but I like it" is the best way to approach some of the stranger hobbies out there.

It's only boring people don't have some oddball interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Self confidence starts in your mind and ends in your actions.
If you feel someone is bullying or insulting you you can tell them that they are childish and rude because they are and it should be brought to their intention.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I have shown some of the guys at work ThreeWheelers Insight.
He did a really professional job which I think looks fantastic. There is not that "ghetto" look to his car.
Even the ones that seem more intelligent shake their head and make rude comments even after I tell them how good his mileage is.
I have such a thin shell that I personally take offensive .
Thanks for the kind words, Cd!

I have had several people at work comment to the fact that they would rather drive the car with the tail off. And it's fine with me if they make that comment.

I had some young kids drive by me in the gas station last week when I was filling up. One said "I like your WeinerMobile" loud enough for me to hear. I just ignored the comment and went on my way.

As the gas prices keep climbing, I've also had several people ask if the car really gets 99mpg as my plate suggests. When I say yes, they drop their jaw is disbelief.

I like the high gas mileage more than negative comments from others, so the car stays as it is!

Jim.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Cd -

I forgot to say that the ones that laugh at you are actually doing you a favor. They are giving you a clue as to what kind of person they are.

CarloSW2
That's exactly how I feel. I like it when someone is honest, as they do me a large favor in the process.

Jim.

Reply  Post New Thread