Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Chip tuning will improve pep, but be careful of the clutch especially if you have a lot of miles on the current one. A lot of remaps, especially generic ones, will just wind up boost pressure at peak torque. With long gearing the clutch is in the middle of an irresistable force (torque) and an immovable object (high gearing) so it starts to slip.

If you drive smoothly then you can get away with it for a long time (about 30k miles in my friend's case) before it starts to give up.

Depending on the engine type you can look to see if there is a more powerful variant and swap over some of the pieces from that. The 1.9s went up to 160hp (I think) and the 2.0s have gone up to 170hp in factory form - Audi TT TDI for example.

For example on the left below is the air intake from the PD130 engine, the one on the right is from the PD160 - its a straight swap.

Although I am not convinced of the benefits yet, I'm waiting for the rest of the Autospeed article.

As ever though don't forget the rest of the car - brakes especially. Traction can become an issue with big torque increases. And smokey too.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Euro Golf 4 TDI s.e.

Golf4 tdi "115" - '01 VW Golf TDI Sport Edition
Diesel
Send a message via MSN to Mario_Marques
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris9898 View Post
I have an 06 jetta tdi. I have increased the tire pressure in my car. The car is out of warranty now and I'm trying to understand a few things.

I was trying to find out if I went to larger intercooler if that would help mpg and the pep the car has? The other thing is changing out the muffler to something that's more high flow. I read elsewhere that adding a fogger (water methanol solution has worked well with the older diesel vws. I read some place that he was able to get 3-4 mpg with the fogger on his 98.

Hi, i don't know if your car is like european spec, but if is, you already have a very, very big and nice front mount intercooler, you don't need a bigger one, trust me
I'm an european tdi tuner.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Marques View Post
Hi, i don't know if your car is like european spec, but if is, you already have a very, very big and nice front mount intercooler, you don't need a bigger one, trust me
I'm an european tdi tuner.
Are you a prof. tuner, in which case I have a few questions.

As I understand it not all TDis have FMIC - as in an IC mounted behind the grills. Some (like mine) have them in the front wing instead. OK its front but not in the full airflow if you know what I mean.

I am willing to be proven wrong on this.

EDIT - Your ASZ engine code is the same as mine.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Euro Golf 4 TDI s.e.

Golf4 tdi "115" - '01 VW Golf TDI Sport Edition
Diesel
Send a message via MSN to Mario_Marques
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Are you a prof. tuner, in which case I have a few questions.

As I understand it not all TDis have FMIC - as in an IC mounted behind the grills. Some (like mine) have them in the front wing instead. OK its front but not in the full airflow if you know what I mean.

I am willing to be proven wrong on this.

EDIT - Your ASZ engine code is the same as mine.

all mk5 generation has fmic, in mk4 version, only tdi 150 has fmic, if your car is an asz like mine your car is a mk4 version(here in europe only mk5 generation is called jetta, mk4 generation here is called Bora)
My asz is quite differnt from yours because it's the last version of asz, it's not available on golf or jetta chassis, i swaped it
so, if your car is a asz and it's mk4 chassis you really dont have fmic(i read your topic and the name jetta only reminds me mk5, that's my mistake).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
As far as I know the 1.9 had a max factory power of 150 Hp. EDIT: I m VERY WRONG. it appears that PD 160 is 1.9

No Ideas on the rest of the thread.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I've seen that referred to as an SMIC... side mount intercooler. Apparently some Audis have dual SMICs... one on each side.

Still trying to find your question(s) in there, btw
Old 02-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
all mk5 generation has fmic, in mk4 version, only tdi 150 has fmic, if your car is an asz like mine your car is a mk4 version(here in europe only mk5 generation is called jetta, mk4 generation here is called Bora)
My asz is quite differnt from yours because it's the last version of asz, it's not available on golf or jetta chassis, i swaped it
so, if your car is a asz and it's mk4 chassis you really dont have fmic(i read your topic and the name jetta only reminds me mk5, that's my mistake).
Hi,

I'm no the OP but the info is cool

My IC is in the bit between the front bumper and the front wheel arch.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Improving MPG on a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI

Quote:
Dear Mario,

I have a Skoda Octavia 2009, with an 1.9 TDI engine. I have it almost standard but my upper grill cover. The cooling is ok, the fans have never run even at 30 degrees centigrades. The water cooling system remain always at 80 degrees ok (after warming up).

The car is responsive, the factory air intake is larger than the mod shown on this pages. So no need of modifying it. Undercover of the car is factory sealed as a standard also. I also removed the rear wheels mud flaps (I forgot that).

As you and other said, seems hard to improve MPG on this beauty. Mine has ASG transmission and even though, I am getting 5% over EPA, due to my driving habits I think, the little mods I did and the good condition of the car of course.

I am also waiting to see the next part of the Autospeed mod of the exhaust.
My motherīs language is Spanish, but what I understood from part 3, is that freeing exhaust flow didnīt improve power, what means that it probably didnīt improve MPG also. Do you agree on that?

How would you classify Skoda Octavia TDI 2009: MK4, MK5, or ...?
Do you know where is the Intercooler located in this car?

Thank you and good tuning!

Oldbeaver

Last edited by oldbeaver; 02-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: improving
Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Adjusting the nut behind the wheel TDI improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdesigner View Post
As a diesel owner. may I suggest a some suitable easies.

Therefore I can reccomend a grille block, it does three things for diesels.. it helps improve aerodynamic drag, it helps reduce the airflow over the engine which means improved warmup time, and a curious bonus I've discovered is that if you seal it in, it helps reduce heat loss when the car is parked. Thus the engine is a couple of C warmer in the morning. I strongly suggest blocking the UPPER part of the grille, not the lower part.
Adjust the nut behind the wheel.. let's assume you've done that.
check your Mass Air Flow sensor and your Exhaust Gas Recirculation... which often get horribly coked up.

Derek
Dear Derek,

Your advise makes a lot of sense to me.

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI, and have done:

- Upper grill cover
- Rear wheels mud flappers removal

Please, can you explain what is "adjust the nut behind the wheel"?
Maybe a picture?

I am very interested about learning how to check/clean the MAF and check the exhaust gas recirculation. I ordered a VAG cable & software to plug into my notebook.. Do you thing these systems can be checked with the software before removing them?

Tks.

Oldbeaver
Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeaver View Post
Dear Derek,

Your advise makes a lot of sense to me.

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI, and have done:

- Upper grill cover
- Rear wheels mud flappers removal

Please, can you explain what is "adjust the nut behind the wheel"?
Maybe a picture?

I am very interested about learning how to check/clean the MAF and check the exhaust gas recirculation. I ordered a VAG cable & software to plug into my notebook.. Do you thing these systems can be checked with the software before removing them?

Tks.

Oldbeaver
The nut behind the wheel is you, the driver.

Reply  Post New Thread