Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't do, "normal"

Project UpCycle - '01 Honda Rebel Streamliner Build
Team Streamliner

Homers Hybrid - '08 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

moms car - '97 honda accord lx
90 day: 34.93 mpg (US)

Adventure - '98 Mazda Protege
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)

The Silver Civic - '02 Honda Civic
90 day: 36.15 mpg (US)
Streamlining an aircooled Honda Rebel.

I am building a full fairing around my Honda Rebel after reclining the seat to a recumbent position to lower frontal area. The end goal is to cover the exterior skin with solar cells to create a giant solar panel so that the bike is generating a significant amount of electricity as long as the sun is out. I plan to use the power to eliminate the alternator load from the engine. When the battery is above a certain limit the power will be used to generate hydrogen from a fuel cell behind the seat to boost mpg. Even if it is an insignificantly small improvement, all the electrical needs are met, so long as I don't add an electric hybrid motor onto the frame (not out of the question) The excess energy is used to generate an explosive gas that *in theory would improve my fuel economy by allowing me to be able to run leaner in my 233cc engine.

Does anybody know where I can get an electric motor that I could attach to the chain drive? Maybe build it into a sidecar design with batteries in there to power the vehicle to start and at low/med speeds <35mph or so depending on battery availability.

Perhaps adding a clutch between the electric motor and the chain.

This is all beside the point. As of today the bike has no sidecar but it can run on ethanol/e85/gasoline [with a 20 minute conversion] or hydrogen and any of these mixes. I would like to add a full fairing next to reduce my drag.

On the topic of my air cooled engine, would a shape similar to that of an f86 fighter be more efficient/better for cooling the engine or would such a duct be better for areodynamics if it was placed under the bike behind the front tire and in front of the engine? Am I right in thinking that I could use the front tire to push rotational air up into the duct from the tire spinning?

I want to stay as streamlined as possible with a lexan windshield and windows to promote visibility, reflective glass beading over the parts of the vehicle that aren't solar panels to increase visibility at night. I also want to add peltier cells to the engine to generate enough power to run led strips off the engine heat to optimize visibility at night.

I would like to do a plastic sheeting skin mock up and tuft test of the shell before I build a fiberglass/insulation or a flashing/insulation. Any thoughts on the shape?

I have read all of the Craig Vetter Diaries and think they are absolutely wonderful, I hope to compete in the Fuel Economy Challenges in the years to come.

My dream is to build an all electric solar assisted streamlined three wheeled vehicle that can run at highway speeds, with trailers of batteries instead of tanks of gas. But right now I can't do that, so I will make the most out of what I have by making my rebel as efficient as possible.

I like the idea of the boxfish shape but I can not seem to find a 3d model of the boxfish shape to study and incorporate the shape into the fairing.

After the fairing is done I will change the gearing, after the gearing I will explore different hybrid technologies that I may be able to incorporate into the project. I build and sell solar panels for a living so that's where I will start.

The object of this project is to test the viability of hybrid technologies in everyday vehicles to reduce my dependance on fossil fuels, eventually becoming completely energy independent.

A HUMBLE HOWDY FROM TEXAS AND LET'S GO!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterInnovation View Post
I am building a full fairing around my Honda Rebel after reclining the seat to a recumbent position to lower frontal area. The end goal is to cover the exterior skin with solar cells to create a giant solar panel so that the bike is generating a significant amount of electricity as long as the sun is out. I plan to use the power to eliminate the alternator load from the engine. When the battery is above a certain limit the power will be used to generate hydrogen from a fuel cell behind the seat to boost mpg. Even if it is an insignificantly small improvement, all the electrical needs are met, so long as I don't add an electric hybrid motor onto the frame (not out of the question) The excess energy is used to generate an explosive gas that *in theory would improve my fuel economy by allowing me to be able to run leaner in my 233cc engine.

Does anybody know where I can get an electric motor that I could attach to the chain drive? Maybe build it into a sidecar design with batteries in there to power the vehicle to start and at low/med speeds <35mph or so depending on battery availability.

Perhaps adding a clutch between the electric motor and the chain.

This is all beside the point. As of today the bike has no sidecar but it can run on ethanol/e85/gasoline [with a 20 minute conversion] or hydrogen and any of these mixes. I would like to add a full fairing next to reduce my drag.

On the topic of my air cooled engine, would a shape similar to that of an f86 fighter be more efficient/better for cooling the engine or would such a duct be better for areodynamics if it was placed under the bike behind the front tire and in front of the engine? Am I right in thinking that I could use the front tire to push rotational air up into the duct from the tire spinning?

I want to stay as streamlined as possible with a lexan windshield and windows to promote visibility, reflective glass beading over the parts of the vehicle that aren't solar panels to increase visibility at night. I also want to add peltier cells to the engine to generate enough power to run led strips off the engine heat to optimize visibility at night.

I would like to do a plastic sheeting skin mock up and tuft test of the shell before I build a fiberglass/insulation or a flashing/insulation. Any thoughts on the shape?

I have read all of the Craig Vetter Diaries and think they are absolutely wonderful, I hope to compete in the Fuel Economy Challenges in the years to come.

My dream is to build an all electric solar assisted streamlined three wheeled vehicle that can run at highway speeds, with trailers of batteries instead of tanks of gas. But right now I can't do that, so I will make the most out of what I have by making my rebel as efficient as possible.

I like the idea of the boxfish shape but I can not seem to find a 3d model of the boxfish shape to study and incorporate the shape into the fairing.

After the fairing is done I will change the gearing, after the gearing I will explore different hybrid technologies that I may be able to incorporate into the project. I build and sell solar panels for a living so that's where I will start.

The object of this project is to test the viability of hybrid technologies in everyday vehicles to reduce my dependance on fossil fuels, eventually becoming completely energy independent.

A HUMBLE HOWDY FROM TEXAS AND LET'S GO!
What the front wheel does to the air is make it turbulent, which means that is moving in all directions at once [terbulent]. Turning the front wheel into some kind of squerl cage fan would be very heavy and dificult, and consume energy. A better aproach would be to fair the front wheel so that ducted air would be directed past the wheel smoothly, at the cylinder and head cooling fins.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't do, "normal"

Team Streamliner

this is going to be a full streamliner fairing [whole bike+rider enclosed in the fairing]

I will upload mock up pics of what it will look like as soon as I can.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Do solar panels on the side of a streamliner ever face the sun?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
In my experience, cooling is going to be your biggest hurdle. On my air cooled sr185 I used a combination of cooling fans and oil cooler to solve this problem. ducting enough air to cool your bike will only work at speed, since in city traffic not enough air will be forced through. I know this from experience. This year I hope to go 100% fan cooled, eliminating the ducts.

as for motors for a hybrid setup, you could look at what they have at Electric Motorsport They are set up specifically for motorcycles and such. I've been eyeing their brushless setups for some time now, but can't afford one yet.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doesn't do, "normal"

Team Streamliner

Yes during the afternoon to evening hours that will be spent driving along the coast on my way back from Oregon. I can build separate solar circuits to run separate things, such as one patch to charge a battery, one patch to aid the electrical system. If the patch isn't producing its not the end of the world because the bike is incredibly efficient on it's own. I figure, It's lightweight, looks cool, at least semi functional [worth their weight] The stock bike has less than 100watts of total electrical draw from the system, but I would need to add more lights [possibly el wire, go tron style] so I am thinking that a larger battery is needed to power all of these things off hand and charge it whenever it is parked. I still like hho cruising to be able to run leaner fuel mix and save a drop of gas or two.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doesn't do, "normal"

Team Streamliner

Here is a mockup of the body shape I want to use, The seat recumbent for lowered frontal area:

The green is frame support bars attaching to the frame of the motorcycle, there will be flat stock run to construct the shape of the body to cover.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Don't see a link to the pics.

I think you need to consider going to a water cooled engine. they are more efficient, quieter, smaller and give you more options aerodynamically speaking. Also, it will give you the ability to heat the interior in a controlled manner.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doesn't do, "normal"

Team Streamliner

I would love to get a liquid cooled ninja 250cc and streamline it, but I do not have the funds to get a ninja 250 and streamline it. The way I am building the bike now, If at some point in the future I am able to acquire a liquid cooled bike, I could pull the streamlining off of one bike and put it on the other.

Although, I kind of want to do the streamlining to the Rebel so that an air cooled vehicle is running in the Vetter Fuel Efficiency Challenges. I love this old reb, she can run on corn or gas.

"When we went to the moon, we didn't do it because it was easy, we did it because it was hard." -jfk

How viable do you think it would be to weld a box around the cooling fins large enough to fill with coolant and pump the heated liquid to a radiator? Seems simple enough, it's just a box and a steel engine.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

There have been a number of a/cooled road race engines that had the middle fins shaved off and a water jacket welded to the top and bottom fins. But that's on 2T engines. A 4T makes the most heat in the head and that is much harder to convert to liquid cooling.

cheers,
Michael