Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SUBARU AWD to two wheel drive

Can I remove the rear drive shaft on my 95 Subaru Legacy wagon.
It is all wheel drive.
How many MPG's should I expect?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
gunrunner -

Welcome to EM! I think you have the same generation Legacy, so there is a chance that this will work for you :

1997 Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Make: Subaru
Model: Legacy
Year: 1997
Trim: L Wagon AW
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 2.2L, 4 cylinder

Mod: "Broken" AWD (There's a very small black cap labeled FWD under my hood - looking at the car head on it's in the upper left corner. I put a spare fuse in that, and on my dash there's a light that says FWD now)
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The fwd fuse is not intended as a full-time conversion to fwd (only for 2-wheel towing) and only works on the autos. I believe leaving it in can burn out a duty solenoid or something, but I don't remember the discussion I half-followed a few years ago. The best way to convert is to swap in a fwd transmission from an earlier Legacy or Impreza. They're all the same as far as installation goes (Subarus are like Legos). The first-generation Legacy manual transmission also has the benefit of being 3.70 FD, the tallest of anything introduced since the Legacy (with the possible exception of the SVX, which has a rear FD of 3.55, but it may have a 1.1 center differential like the later Imprezas and, IIRC, a 3.90 FD for the front differential. I'm too lazy to confirm with the math, but that is the closest ratio, so I'd bet that's it. This is all irrelevant anyway). Don't know about the autos (I think they're 3.90 FD, maybe 4.11, don't know gear ratios, but I hate autos so I don't follow them). A used fwd transmission should run you no more than a couple hundred dollars and is an easy day swap (theoretically, I make no claim to the ease of removing stuff that's been in place for about 15 years). From there, you can either swap out the rear suspension for the 2wd version's to save more weight (struts and rear hubs, the rest can remain), or leave the rear differential and axles in place. Keep in mind that the former option leaves less options for suspension changes (the strut mounting to the hub carrier is different) if you're into that. KYB GR2s would be about the most aggressive thing you can get for the rear, but they're quite good for general road use.

Mileage gain? Not being able to compare as I've yet to convert to AWD (and no longer sure I want to, not that it would matter anyway as it'll be turbocharged by then), and finding people report wide variations in mileage, I'd guess 2-3 mpg. FWIW, driving like I stole it, I averaged 25-27 mpg a tank on my fwd 1990 Legacy wagon.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
evolutionmovement -

Thanks for the solenoid warning. I was under the (false?) impression that there were no consequences and it "just worked".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for the info

thanks for the info
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Subievangelist

Send a message via AIM to evil03mustang
Has anybody switched out their transmission / front diff lube and rear diff lube for royal purple or some other miracle sauce like redline?

Any difference?

Less gear whine would be nice..
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

autos and manual trans act VERY differently on the subaru's.

the short answer is unhooking the driveline won't do anything. The longer answer is the subarus are pretty heavy, with big engines, and don't get great mileage.

2 wheel drive subarus are lighter and get better mileage.

Reply  Post New Thread