View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
True! A torqueless FE friendly gasser that would take 20 seconds to hit highway speeds! Which almost nobody would want to drive!

Sort of like my Firefly!

I don't have a problem with hybrids (I'd likely be modding a Prius if I had money to burn). The hybrid magic is they give you a midsize car with the efficiency of a small car. (Or a small car with the insane efficiency potential of a tiny car - Insight 1).

I just wish we could still buy the small car with the excellent small car efficiency.

/end of threadjack. Sorry Rick! That's all I'm saying on this subject.
Though not fancy, the original Insight IMA is probably the best-done hybrid system. The motor/generator is integrated into the flywheel, so it adds no overall weight to the system, and while I couldn't get the number on the old IMA battery/controller, the new one is only 45 pounds. So for almost no weight penalty and very little cost, you get FE benefits (auto stop/start, regen and boost) that you can't get out of a straight gasser. Plus, it works with manual, automatic or CVT trannies and existing engines and gives benefits in in-town driving for pretty much any vehicle without eating into highway mileage.