View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
The AWARD-WINNING Electro-Metro....

Today, I got to attend a local car show.

The show was put on by the Watertown, Wisconsin high-school SuperMileage Team.

Those students build and compete electric go carts and alternatively-fueled small cars.

Thus, they had a car class you don't usually see at most car shows - an alternative fuel catagory.

I can now proudly say that the Electro-Metro won FIRST PLACE in the show.
I can also say that I am in a class of my own. I was the only one there in an alt-fuel vehicle.

Besides the Alt. Fuel Auto catagory, there was also an Alt. Fuel Miscelaneous catagory, in which my Motorcycle won first place.

The cool thing was that the students themselves made all the awards in metals shop. The base was bent sheet metal, and the top was CNC-cut aluminum plate. The lettering itself was made by a local sign shop. The best of show award was a piston and connecting rod welded to a metal base. I would have loved to have won that, but it's tough for an economy to compete against a Bel-Air limo and 1930 F-1 Truck in perfect condition.

Also, I got to test drive the team's three-wheeler E-cart. Now THAT was fun. It was a coffin on wheels with a 5-point harness, 24 volts of Red Tops, and a Mars motor. The ground clearance was 1.5 inches.

Hee hee heee.... Good times!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (06-13-2010)