View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I took the generator over to the Community Supported Energy Group in Jefferson County, Wisconsin yesterday.

They guys gave me a hand troubleshooting it.

First, we tested my regulator (which should be 11 inches of water column) using, get this, a clear tube filled with water!

Running the hose from the regulator to the water tube, the gas did indeed push the water a little past 11 inches. Unfortunately, we found out later that it has the pressure, but not the VOLUME of LP to run the generator.

Switching to a different regulator they had kicking around, we WERE able to get the generator running, but the propane tank had to be hand-dialed down, and manually tweaked while we ran it.

The genny ran a 100 watt lightbulb successfully for about 30 seconds or so.

We also found that the throttle was a little corroded. Some wiggling and WD-40 loosened it up.

After RE-reading the manual, it appears that the generator requires TWO regulators - one provided by the user, which is on the tank, and one that comes with the generator. We also theorized that the one that was supposed to come with the generator is some sort of "on-demand" regulator which can vary the flow of LP to the engine.

Also, the generator would have included a gas shut-off solenoid (which I don't have). We tested the "Fuel Prime" switch and a bare wire that we thought would run to the solenoid. It was the correct wire, and tested positive for voltage when the switch was flipped. If the solenoid was installed, it would work properly.

So, it doesn't look like there's much more I can do until I get the proper regulator that's designed for the generator. I'm hoping my RV mechanic friend who gave me the generator has the regulator kicking around somewhere. If not, the manufacturer is only about 20 miles from where I live. I would imagine that I should still be able to get parts directly from them.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos