View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I was just on the computer at the same time my wife flushed the toilet.

I quickly switched over to the TED software to see in real-time how much power the greywater pump used.

With the real-time chart, I could see both power and time. The pump pulls almost exactly 1000 watts, and runs for about 30 seconds!

I haven't really used the physical display unit that much yet. The MAIN feature of the TED system IS the computer software display. It tracks all the info, displays it, charts it, etc. etc.

The physical display is more similar to a thermostat for a furnace or a thermometer. It's something you would put somewhere and can just look at. It doesn't require booting up a computer, or taking up a lot of space.

At my house, I have a laptop that's always on, so taking a look at the TED isn't a big deal on the computer.

However, the physical display could go on your coffee table or in your kitchen - someplace it's easy to see and recognize how much power you are using. It's small an unobtrusive, but can be that constant reminder to turn the ights off.

Since the physical display is an optional item (basically $40), if you want to buy it or not depends on how you will use the TED. It will vary from household to household.

I think that at my place, I will work with the software a lot at first. Later on, I will just keep the physical display on the coffee table or kitchen counter as a constant reminder of energy usage.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos