View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Why the feck...
I'll just interject here on a slightly unrelated topic: I love Father Ted.

Quote:
...should every single stupid thing people do behind the wheel be specifically outlawed. Thankfully we have a reasonable prescribed crime which is

'Driving without due care and attention'

It has been around for ages. Seems pretty fair to me. If an evidence exists you were (for example) swerving and you were on the phone / chatting / eating / picking fluff out of navel / inventing fusion power instead of driving then this is the law for it. It is then up to the court to decide if you are guilty or not. You can argue stats there.
And yet you also specifically have a mobile ban that is completely separate. In California, if you're so much as picking up a phone to move it from the seat to the cupholder, it's a ticket. THAT'S my problem with the mobile ban. The problem is covered under existing reckless driving laws in the U.S. as well, but that wasn't good enough for the whiner (whinger?) crowd, so they made an additional law so that so much as glancing at a phone to see who is calling gets you a ticket.

Quote:
I meant 2 hands to drive including gears. Joke here in the UK - if you are steering with one and eating an apple with another then where is your third for shifting etc - or are you a clever dick ?
LOL. That's why we have adjustable columns, to make steering with the knees more comfortable.

I tend to leave my eating for when I'm stopped, but there's enough contiguous nonstop freeway in California that one can generally leave the car in top gear long enough to eat or drink something--provided that something isn't ice cream or scalding hot tea.

In California, you can drive with a mobile if you use a headset, but if your fingers so much as touch the phone itself, it's a ticket. Thus, I have to hold the phone below the window line while dialing or ending a call, increasing the risk slightly. (Before, it was on a mount on the dashboard so my eyes were much closer to the road, but the law, as the thread topic suggests, has made things slightly more dangerous out there.)