View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Sorry, no updates on this for a while.

Too many other things going on lately. (Birth of my first-born child was a big one! )

Anyways, I figure I am only going to actually do this is if:

A) I set a deadline for it to happen by.

B) I get a little help from my friends. That means you guys!

The car is currently running a 72V system.

My plan was to run an analog 72-volt battery charger from the AC output on the generator to the batteries. This would run 20 amps continuously to the batteries (max charge rate on that charger). While not enough power to drive the car directly, that would be enough energy to EXTEND the RANGE of the car by always adding to the batteries (or slowing the discharge, if you want to look at it that way.)

So, my main challenges right now are:

Need solenoid and regulator for LP generator
Need appropriate regulator for LP tank - not sure exactly what I need
Need fuel tank (as small as I can get!) I would love to use standard 20lb gas grill bottles if possible.
I do have a propane tank (from a forklift?) it's about 4 feet tall - not sure how well that would fit on a Metro...

My charger has been acting weird. I pulled it off and have been doing individual charging lately. Could anyone gifted with electronic knowledge give me a hand with it? It's a K&W BC-20. I have no idea where to start on trouble-shooting it! (Also wondering what would be need to possibly even upgrade its rated output amperage?)

If that charger wouldn't work, what would it take to design a device that would simply create a 20-30 amp, 98V (14.1 x 6 batts) output from that generator?

Then, I need to make a "rack" that would mount on the back of the car - similar to those truck ones that slide in the hitch receiver. That would hold the generator (about the size of a push lawn mower engine) and fuel tank. I would like to cover both with some sort of semi-attractive cover, perhaps with vinyl lettering to advertise the project? Link to my blog and the Makerspace page?

Anyhow, I would really like to do this, but still need to learn more about LP generators, battery chargers, etc. All help and suggestions greatly appreciated!

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos