View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Strawbale cold frame

Hi everyone,

Recently, I tested some old seeds to see if they would germinate or not. Then I foolishly planted those seeds in a seedling tray.

I know... what was I thinking?

Now I will need some place for those seedlings to go, but of course it is still way too cold outside.

Perhaps some sort of cold frame?

First thing I did was shovel some of the snow out of the way.

Fortunately, most of the snow has melted. It was 3 feet deep here last week.

Next, I hit up Craigslist to find who was selling straw bales, and then went to pick up a load of them. This is the kind of situation it's nice to have a pickup truck for!

All I really did was measure out the size of scrap greenhouse glazing I had, and then start laying straw bales on the ground to match that size.

Once I had the ring of bales, I just flopped the glazing on top. Since I had a couple spare bales, I set them on top in the back, where they won't block the sun, but they will keep the wind from moving the glazing.

If the glazing was angled to go up to the "second-story" bales, it would be a better sun angle for this time of year. I would need to fabricate some sort of side walls though.

Perhaps a simple wooden frame, which would set ON the bales, and cover the ends?

I'll let this sit in the sun for a few days and see how it warms up. Ooo! That reminds me, I need to get a thermometer to put in there...

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos