View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Anyone think the Chevy Volt ads are weird?

I'm just throwing this out there.....

But does anyone else think the Chevy Volt ads are weird?

I'm talking about the television commercials where a Volt owner is at the gas station, and the kid asks him if he has to use the bathroom.

It seems like the point of the ads are that a Volt DOES use gasoline! Wouldn't a better ad be one where the guy is in his driveway, plugging in the car, and a neighbor going past asks him about it?

There are also some underwriting messages on the public radio station I listen to. On there, the message is "The Chevy Volt; it's more CAR than ELECTRIC".

Their other tag-line "Electric when you want it, gas when you need it." also seems to imply that electric just isn't good enough, or that it's some sort of tree-hugging luxury.

Again, it seems to say that somehow, something running on electricity CAN'T be a car. (And I am not knocking the car itself. I test drove it, and thought it was pretty nice. It's the advertising I have a beef with.)

In the film WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR, it shows some of the television commercials for the EV-1. Very weird, disturbing, advertisements for the EV-1.....

On the other hand. Nissan has some very nice commercials for the Leaf. I think that POLAR BEAR won several awards.

I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy, but it seems like GM could do a little better advertising here.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 10-08-2011 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: typo, added video links.