View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
SuperTruck: AeroCap

Hey Guys,

I'm slowly working away on my "SuperTruck" DIY Plug-in Diesel/Electric Hybrid Pickup Truck project.

Nothing against me on the project except for time, skill, and money!

See the overall thought of the project at: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uck-22080.html

I wanted to focus in the Aerodynamics forum on an aerodynamic pickup truck cap.

So here's my idea.....

So far, I've experimented with a few variations on simple/cheap tonneau covers made from recycled materials, one setup open right behind the cab for tool-box access, and most recently with a fiberglass flat cover, which turned out heavy and ugly.

What I've figured out from these exeperiments is that I do and do not have particular skills with particular materials, and other people around me with certain skill-sets.

In a nut-shell: Use what you have, Do what you know.

My Dad has been a carpenter and remodeler for his entire career. Recently, he built a cedar strip canoe. It turned out beautiful! Ended up building three of them between him and another guy.

In other news, somebody locally let me know of a barn that is slated to get burned down soon as part of a local fire-fighter training exercise. The barn is less than 50 years old, but the foundation is over 100, and in disrepair. I was offered salvage rights to strip off whatever barn-boards I wanted for projects, but when I saw it, was disappointed that it's "modern" boards, instead of the classic old-timey ones. What would be a good use for these boards.

That's when I realized that they were 14 feet long each, and I remembered that part of the expense of a cedar strip canoe is getting LONG lengths of knot-free wood.

I cut a sample of one of the boards to show to my Dad. To me, it looked like Cedar, but I wasn't sure. He looked at it and told me that it was Fir, which is sort of a hard softwood, and would bend fine once cut into strips.

So here's my idea; Build a "boat-tail" aero-cap for the pickup truck using actual boat building technology, in this case the style of a cedar strip canoe, using recycled barn boards.

I can work with wood easy enough, and there are plenty of extra boards for when I do screw up. My Dad has built the wood boats before and should be a great resource for advice and help on the project. His canoe is beautiful, light, and sturdy.

Mine will be more like a less graceful upside-down row boat!

Here's an example of a wood-strip cap from Sensible Living | Spruce And Cedar Strip Canopy

I'd be doing something similar, but without the ladder rack and sloping towards the rear of the truck.

Anyways, that's my idea. I have a few sketches I started doing (possibly with blind-spot windows, possibly not) and I'll have to figure out the right angle and whether or not I want a "Prius-style" back window in it.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts!

In other aero for the truck project, I'd be looking at a belly pan, front air dam, and rear wheels skirts - much of that most likely made from coroplast and similar light and sturdy materials.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 04-26-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: added photos