View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I have played around with designs for spoilers and rear box cavities, and I have not yet come to a conclusion or built a final version (only in the mode of "cardboard aided design"). But I'll share these pictures I took this morning when I arrived at work, since my 1998 Coupe is very similar to your VLX.

Driving to work, the car got a light misting in the last two miles, stop and go traffic and then speeds up to 45/50 mph. Here are the water traces on the roof and rear glass that were left when I arrived at work.

I think the traces across the rear show a lot of turbulence.

And here is an older image, in which a morning mist had left my tufts pasted to the car in a trace of the air flow:

My sense is that the rear turbulence cause by the too sharp angle of the rear glass and c pillars would be tough to reduce very greatly at the speeds we usually drive, unless you built a Kammback.

But I still want to try spoilers and such, so I am game to see what you might attempt and test.

Subscribed.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-22-2013), Cd (10-23-2013), slownugly (10-22-2013)