View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #193 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
Great mileage!

I had been reading about deep discharges a few weeks ago. When I saw "0v" I was alarmed because of what I have read about cell inversion.

How can I drain my IMA battery deeply? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Deep discharges are the key to rejuvenating Nickel based cells. However, to do it safely, you must do it at the cell level.

When doing it at the pack level, this is the question: Is the damage sustained during cell reversal worth a balanced pack?

I guess the answer could be yes, if you don't have anything to lose?!

Regarding the OP - yes, deep discharges by resetting the SoC like you've done will give marked improvements. Graphs to follow if I can find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
eq1,

I would agree with Eli, in that the only way to *safely* get to a cell voltage of 0.78 volts would be to monitor all six cells per stick, when performing a discharge, and then watch for the lowest voltage cell to start dropping out.

Maybe if your current was low enough, one could stop the process it time and still get below 0.78 volts?

I would venture a guess and say that the current draw would be way less than 10 amps.

I can see one other scenario happening:
- the level of the cells starts to drop below 0.78 volts, but the other cells are still going strong.
- how do you get all the cells in the stick to get below the 0.78 volt threshold without reversing the lowest voltage cell?
- I suppose one would have to charge up the lowest cell first, and then continue on the discharge for the entire stick?
- Oh, now it dawns on me: one could simply discharge each cell of the stick, one at a time, and get each one below the threshold.

Jim.