View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #363 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I went over to Jim's tonight to test fit the motor and transmission.

First thing I saw when I walked in was the commutator was trimmed up all shiny on the lathe.

We put the two together with the doubled up adapter plate and shortened coupler.

It's still too long. We need to make one-inch spacers going into the motor housing.

The test fitting was done using just the motor center shaft and end cap, to save the weight and hassle of handling of the body of the motor.

Also, after talking with lots of people, I have decided to keep the tailshaft. That leaves possibilities for attaching a tachometer or anything else I want to power (power brake pump?)

But there is hardly any room for the tailshaft. So, what do I do? Cut the tailshaft short? Cut a hole in the side of the car? Darin voted for cutting a hole in the car.

After talking to Jim, it didn't sound like such a terrible thing. A support ring can be welded in around the hole to keep it sturdy. That keeps the entire tailshaft available to so something else with later.

The real trick with this is going to be sliding the tailshaft into the hole and then sliding the motor and tranny over into position.

Right now I have the motor shaft and end cap rough bolted to the tranny, sitting in the back of my truck. I need to put it in the car to see where the tailshaft will go - mark it, and then drill a nice big hole there.

That should be interesting.....

Also, I don't have an engine hoist. I did borrow a chain lift. Maybe I can hook that to the roof of the garage, lift the motor/tranny, push the car under it, lower it back down.

Well, its better than the clothesline I used to lift the engine out when I removed that...

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos