View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #432 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Call me impulsive, but I found a Tranny at a junk yard.

$100 and it looks good.

I only got such a good price because I stopped there the other day and the guy showed me one I could have for $100. It looked all wrong. It may even have been an automatic transmission.

I stopped back in today with my adapter plate, tranny, and coupler to compare them on the transmission they had there. Yep. It was all wrong. However, 4 transmissions over was one which looked right.

It only had a tag on it saying "'92 Metro".

The adapter plate fit (minus the alignment pins, which the machinist pulled out for me on my tranny) and the coupler fit the input shaft.

I also lugged my transmission back there and compared the two. As far as I can tell, they ARE the exact same. I put junkyards transmission through the gears, and it seems to spin fine in all of them. In fact, it shifted into gears easier than mine does. I think that's a good sign.

They couldn't find this transmission in their computer system anywhere. The clerk was a woman I had seen there before, but wasn't the guy I spoke to a few days earlier, who walked by briefly and confirmed my story that he offered a certain transmission to me for $100.
When I went to check out, the woman said "$100 bucks, huh?". I readily agreed and forked over a Benjamin plus tax.

All other tranmissions I have seen kicking around for Metros have been 3-5 hundred dollars. There is another local junkyard that has a 95 or 96 Geo Metro with the transmission still in it, that the guy said I could get for $275.

Either I just got a piece of junk and wasted my time and $100, or I just got a REALLY good deal.

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos