View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena_commut View Post
That's too long, especially if you drive on the highway every day.

I'm not a pilot, but I have fallen into the habit of making a quick once around before driving the car, at least every other day, and always if I will drive on the highway that day. This takes all of 5 seconds. A gauge is used every other week (by which point they are usually down about .5 psi). The visual inspection is actually the most important one safety-wise. A seriously under inflated tire is easy to spot visually, and since these usually result from a puncture where the air loss is quick, even checking the pressure once a week would not be frequent enough to catch the problem before driving on the low tire. The walk around won't catch a tire down from 33 to 28, but I'm sure I would notice a tire at 20 psi or less.
Agreed, you're absolutely right. I had been driving my wife's car for a couple of weeks, so I didn't really notice the lack of acceleration (though I did note the lack of coasting, and stupidly it didn't really register.) I'll check it on every fillup to see what I'm up against.