View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
As somebody who has already installed a similar heater in an electric car, I think you will be very happy with the choice.

Heat is just a BAD way to use electricity. Burning things is a great way to make heat, but a terrible way to power a car. Using a fuel-burning heater turns your EV into a sort of micro-hybrid, appropriately using fuel for heat and electricity for propulsion.

Of course, you also want to use seat heaters, pre-heat, and heated steering-wheel (if ya got it!)

My Mitsubishi iMiEV has a tiny 16kWh battery, and a very inefficient resistive electric heating system. Adding the fuel burning heater has worked great to help extend winter range by using the electricity for power instead of heating the cabin.

Here's my whole playlist of working with the heater and installing it in the car:

Another neat little winter hack (whether your car is gas or electric) is to use a 12V electric blanket. Very efficient use of energy. Warms up fast. Great for humans, but it won't defrost your windshield.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
oil pan 4 (04-05-2020), redpoint5 (02-15-2019), Xist (02-15-2019)