View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Extreme Electric Motorcycle conversion for Publicity/Charity

For a while, I have been attending some informal electric vehicle "build-days".

Those have been hosted by Tom G. at his recycling business. In his line of work, he comes across a lot of great items. Plus, he's a great scrounger and attends many auctions and other sources of unusual items.

A while back, he mentioned that he had an AC motor, controller, and enough batteries to build an electric motorcycle. He was thinking a motorcycle specifically because of the size of the motor - not quite big enough for a car.

The last time I was over there, I mentioned to the guys the idea of building the AC Cycle, and videotaping the build, and making an internet film of it. Something like Orange County Choppers - Electric Edition. Get everything lined up and build an extreme electric motorcycle in 48 hours.

Somebody else suggested spending more time on it, but documenting it, and making more of a "how-To" video. Similar to what I am doing with Tom's Neon EV conversion.

Another person suggested building the cycle, auctioning it, and giving the proceeds to charity. That might help us get some donations, sponsorships, or publicity.

I have already built an electric motorcycle, and am currently advising another guy who is doing one. Another of our EV members is a big rider and has a nephew who runs a cycle shop.

Whatever we do, I want to help promote EV's as both cool AND practical transportation. If I can figure out a way to maybe sell a video about it, or drive traffic to a web page and get a little ad revenue from it, that would be great.

What do YOU think we should do?

Keep in mind, I don't think anything would happen on this project until at least spring, but it's on my mind, and it's got some great potential.

-Ben!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos