View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
I dont have a civic i was just assuming that the engine bay to my car is about the same size as a 95 civic.

My car, the Hyundai Accent dosnt have a manual steering option.

I understand that hybrids have electric power steering but they also weigh a lot more then my car, they have more energy sources, and a bigger engine bay.

does the Honda insite have an electric power steering and ac.

(ac is more important I can alway take out the ps pump and loop the lines.)
asking because I got a baby on the way and a controlled air climate is better then suffering through the heat (i live in southern California so its always hot)
Odd; the two parts sites I checked seem to indicate that a manual rack is available. I'm not sure if this is a mistake on their part, or if there was a basic model (maybe sold to rental agencies?) that had manual steering. At any rate, perhaps an earlier model offers a rack that fits.

My Saturn Ion has standard electric power steering. It would probably be difficult to retrofit, as it's a larger car. You can also drive your pump with an electric motor, though it would take a large draw at 12V, and you'd most likely have to keep a regular-sized battery to cover any draws beyond what the alternator can put out.