View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
On the trip computer topic, I noticed that most new cars only have an "average" mileage option. Having an instant mileage readout would definitely help--especially if it is displayed separately, so it's always on. (Again, with most new cars, you have to choose between MPG, miles to empty, temperature and other readings, and MPG usually isn't the option chosen.)

As far as other drivers, I've recently learned to keep an eye out when hypermiling, lest I be the polar opposite jackass. For instance, I was in the right lane and approaching a truck that was doing about 45. I was doing 55. When I was prepared to pull out to pass, I noticed a guy in the next lane approaching at about 65. Rather than pull out and make him apply his brakes, I slowed a little to let him pass before pulling out and gently increasing from 50 back to 55. I might have cost myself .005 gallons in my Saturn doing that, but by not making him brake, wait, signal, pull over and accelerate again, I probably saved his pickup .05 gallons.