Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
Generally I'd have to agree with everything that has been said. My primary thought is that the only person I can really control to any extent, is me. Secondarily, after having had a number of close calls with people driving aggressively, I have concluded that the best thing for me to do, as quickly as possible is to disassociate myself from those folks and whatever issue or cause it is that causes them to feel they have to drive as aggressively as they do.

I believe the risk of them creating a problem which involves me is far greater if I do anything besides get them out of the way, in front of me, so that I can control my circumstance, instead of letting them control it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
On the trip computer topic, I noticed that most new cars only have an "average" mileage option. Having an instant mileage readout would definitely help--especially if it is displayed separately, so it's always on. (Again, with most new cars, you have to choose between MPG, miles to empty, temperature and other readings, and MPG usually isn't the option chosen.)

As far as other drivers, I've recently learned to keep an eye out when hypermiling, lest I be the polar opposite jackass. For instance, I was in the right lane and approaching a truck that was doing about 45. I was doing 55. When I was prepared to pull out to pass, I noticed a guy in the next lane approaching at about 65. Rather than pull out and make him apply his brakes, I slowed a little to let him pass before pulling out and gently increasing from 50 back to 55. I might have cost myself .005 gallons in my Saturn doing that, but by not making him brake, wait, signal, pull over and accelerate again, I probably saved his pickup .05 gallons.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoops View Post
I believe the risk of them creating a problem which involves me is far greater if I do anything besides get them out of the way, in front of me, so that I can control my circumstance, instead of letting them control it.
Very true; that is an excellent way to approach it.

I believe the vast majority of folks view fuel as simply another expenditure... If they can afford it, then they will use it. Not until it has a major impact on their budget will they consider alternatives, which is why on the whole nothing happens when the cost of fuel is low (and here I mean the $$ cost at the pump, not the greater cost that the extraction, transportation, and use of fuel has on the environment). I don't believe it has to do with people "not thinking", but rather with people's priorities. There simply is not enough incentive for a person to conserve fuel when it consumes less than 5% of the family budget.

This forum (along with others) is one tool to combat the lack of interest and information... Our actions are another tool. I think what would be helpful for those that are hypermiling is to have a bumper sticker that says something to the effect of "You are behind a HyperMiler. I drive like I ride my bicycle: SLOWLY!"
Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Many people won't be burdened to drive slower though, and might view that statement as though it's saying: "The only way you'll save money is to drive slowly.", never actually taking the aero aspect into consideration.

Many people also fail horribly at time management, and don't realize that there are several thing they're doing during the day that not only waste fuel, but waste time, (sometimes, taking the "most direct route", when it involves red lights, stop signs, and more traffic.)

Simple education, I think, would be more rewarding by and large than something that seems to mock the way that others drive. Remember, EVERYONE is a GOOD driver... in their own mind. When you mock people, or they feel that they've been mocked, they tend to shut down to any suggestion at all.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Not most are idiots, but it sure seems like it. Even the law abiding ones don't think. A lot of them will continue at the speed limit even when the light is red and in plain view...then you have the ones on the hiway that start slowing down a football field before a green light and get caught by it turning red while my little Geo will go on past them as they start slowing and I still have a green light when I get there.

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hypermile, police