View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Anyone can build a 'dirt cheap' EV if they are lucky enough to find the parts for 'dirt cheap'.
I don't think any of the three "Cheap EV's" we have been talking about have too much "luck" on them.

It's more a matter of priorities. If you are willing to buy used parts, look for good deals on things, and do it a little different, ANYONE could follow this pattern and build a basic, inexpensive, electric vehicle.

If you want to buy all new parts, through full retail price dealers, you will have a much more expensive project. That said, it will almost certainly have MUCH higher performance!

Most EV "kits" cost $8000 on up to sky's the limit!

To get a good idea of what EV projects CAN cost, please browse the EV Album.

I was VERY turned off at how expensive EV conversions typically are. I did NOT want to spend the equivelant of a very nice used car to make a limited use vehicle. Instead, I spend the same amount of money as a basic economy car to build a basic economy car that doesn't use any gas!

I know a guy whose CHARGER cost as much money as MY ENTIRE PROJECT. His is a very nice conversion, with good power, speed, and range, but far out of my budget!

Getting an inexpensive CONTROLLER is what really could make it possible to have an inexpensive/high-speed EV.

I will be following Paul's Cheap Controller thread closely!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos