View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #873 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
After charging from yesterdays ride, I calculated energy use as 322 watt-hours per mile, or roughly the equivelent of 115 mpg, my worst yet.

Also, figuring that it took just a hair under 3KWhr, that means that at 72Volts, the batteries actually hold 41.6 amp-hour capacity.

But that was running the batteries down too far. If I figure I only want to run the batteries down half way, that makes the number 20.8 amp-hours. That's on batteries that are rated for 95 amp-hours!

Of course those batteries are rated at something like a 20 amp drain rate, not the 100 amps I am typically using!

If I really only have about 20 amp hours to use, and the car averages 100 amps to cruise around, that means I get about 1/5 of an hour of run time. That's 12 minutes of driving! At 35 MPH at 1/5 of an hour is 7 miles!

I really shouldn't be driving more than 7 miles in the winter! Ug!

I will have to try this again on a day with similar weather, but with preheating the car, and see what difference I have in range and energy use!

PS - One of the reasons I got such a good deal on these batteries is that gel cells are known to drop range A LOT in the winter. These batteries were originally pulled from an NEV and were replaced with a different style with better cold weather characteristics. I knew I would have poor winter performance, but ACK! This isn't good!

PS: Thanks Terry. You are right, I did end up taking the motor in and out several times. That's what I get for learning as I go. One time I installed the motor, only to realize I would not be able to turn left because of the tailshaft!

If I ever have to pull the motor again, - OK - WHEN I have to pull the motor again, maybe I can take it apart and powder coat it. The motors rebuilt by Jim Husted and other EV modders look SO nice, and part of it is the paint job.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 01-09-2009 at 01:16 PM..