View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Well, I'm bummed... Filled up today, calculated my MPG, and I only got ~35mpg... I kinda suspected this would not be a good tank at about half tank (see previous post), but bummed nevertheless. This was primarily a commuting tank, with one "for fun" trip and some errands.

Guess that I'm really going to have to work on my driving style! Obviously the key to that is instrumentation so I know what exactly I'm doing (or not doing) correctly. Unfortunately, it's still going to be about a month and a half before I can afford the time and $$ to add instrumentation.

Besides, the whole point of these first couple of months is to get a baseline according to my driving style and my commute route.

Ah well...
My trip home includes a 13.7 mile gain from 800 ft. to 4,675 ft. I average about 35 mpg in my Accord including this nightly trip, so you should definitely be able to get better. In my case, I can maintain 40-45 mph in fourth gear, with the vacuum at about 7 inches. The vacuum gauge has allowed me to keep at about my summer MPG average despite the winter weather, wind, rain and snow. If you can't do any other instrumentation right away, a $25 vacuum gauge and 15 minutes of installation time might make an immediate difference for you like it did for me.