View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I disagree, because instead of learning/looking up commands, you have to figure out the meaning of some "intuitive" icon, thereby replacing a tedious task with an impossible one. But of course that's a matter of personal taste. The point I was trying to make is that if someone does prefer a Windows-like GUI, then why don't they just use Windows? Only reason I can think of is that they don't like paying money to Bill Gates.
I like Linux because it has an easy-to-use GUI interface, and can drop to a shell when I need to do something more complex. Additionally, I can install as little or much as I need. My desktop has a free video player, office suite, games, etc., while my server doesn't need a GUI, so runs in 256MB of RAM (specifically, 144MB used with the web server running, and no swap needed.)

You're turning this into a "hate Bill Gates" argument, which it doesn't have to be. Plus, the "it's not real Linux if it has a GUI" attitude says more about Linux fanatics than it says about Linux.