Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 808 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Well, until you learn all the commands for every possible action in every possible program, a GUI is a real nice to have.
I disagree, because instead of learning/looking up commands, you have to figure out the meaning of some "intuitive" icon, thereby replacing a tedious task with an impossible one. But of course that's a matter of personal taste. The point I was trying to make is that if someone does prefer a Windows-like GUI, then why don't they just use Windows? Only reason I can think of is that they don't like paying money to Bill Gates.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell
 
dcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Posts: 5,038

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Thanks: 158
Thanked 267 Times in 210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Only reason I can think of is that they don't like paying money to Bill Gates.
Seriously? That's the only reason you can think of?
__________________
WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,098

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I disagree, because instead of learning/looking up commands, you have to figure out the meaning of some "intuitive" icon, thereby replacing a tedious task with an impossible one. But of course that's a matter of personal taste. The point I was trying to make is that if someone does prefer a Windows-like GUI, then why don't they just use Windows? Only reason I can think of is that they don't like paying money to Bill Gates.
I like Linux because it has an easy-to-use GUI interface, and can drop to a shell when I need to do something more complex. Additionally, I can install as little or much as I need. My desktop has a free video player, office suite, games, etc., while my server doesn't need a GUI, so runs in 256MB of RAM (specifically, 144MB used with the web server running, and no swap needed.)

You're turning this into a "hate Bill Gates" argument, which it doesn't have to be. Plus, the "it's not real Linux if it has a GUI" attitude says more about Linux fanatics than it says about Linux.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak
 
skyl4rk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: M I C H I G A N
Posts: 514

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 27
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
I am a slackware troll and I don't upgrade software until I get a new pc. I might try ubuntu with the next hardware change but will probably revert to slackware.
__________________
Nissan Versa Aeromods
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Eco Noob
 
Doofus McFancypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tosev 3 - Atlanta GA
Posts: 293

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I recently burned Ubuntu disc as well as "Damn Small Linux" to play with.
Mostly as my computer is getting older - Dell P4 H/T with 1GBRam.

I ran it from the Live Disc and was nice. Going to install an older HD and set up dual boot. I would "LIKE" to get into the command line aspect of it - i think i will be happier with the more stable platform and ability to keep my machine running a few years longer.
__________________
Steve - AKA Doofus McFancypants
------------------------------
"If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line - But it better work this time"

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,096

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I tried ubuntu for work on my Inspiron 600m laptop. I was impressed with the live disk and the live disk instant install to hard drive. I was also impressed with the "stock" applications. I then deleted it because it couldn't handle hot swapping from the dock with a second monitor and stand-alone laptop... i do that constantly going from my desk to my lab. It also couldn't read a USB key for some reason on the laptop - it worked on my coworker's desktop fine. I always seem to run into a deal-breaker when i try to go linux. I was a big-time computer geek for most of my life, but i have never been happy with linux as a do-it-all. I chalk it up to bad luck,though, not bad linux.

I may give it a whirl again at home because so i can do some circuit board work... end of summer, maybe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 808 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
You're turning this into a "hate Bill Gates" argument, which it doesn't have to be. Plus, the "it's not real Linux if it has a GUI" attitude says more about Linux fanatics than it says about Linux.
I'm not turning it into anything, I'm just stating an opinion, and asking a question. What other reason is there for having not just a GUI, but a GUI that has been intentionally set up to look and act just like Windows, when there are plenty of window managers out there that accomplish the same tasks without being Windows workalikes?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell
 
dcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Posts: 5,038

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Thanks: 158
Thanked 267 Times in 210 Posts
swivel chair is no fun, and it isn't windows (or mac OS, or xerox), just a graphical veneer on top of debian linux. Do you own a bunch of MS stock or something?
__________________
WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,098

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I'm not turning it into anything, I'm just stating an opinion, and asking a question. What other reason is there for having not just a GUI, but a GUI that has been intentionally set up to look and act just like Windows, when there are plenty of window managers out there that accomplish the same tasks without being Windows workalikes?
Ubuntu uses GNOME. It's pretty un-Windowslike. Perhaps you're thinking of Linspire?
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,098

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
I tried ubuntu for work on my Inspiron 600m laptop. I was impressed with the live disk and the live disk instant install to hard drive. I was also impressed with the "stock" applications. I then deleted it because it couldn't handle hot swapping from the dock with a second monitor and stand-alone laptop... i do that constantly going from my desk to my lab. It also couldn't read a USB key for some reason on the laptop - it worked on my coworker's desktop fine. I always seem to run into a deal-breaker when i try to go linux. I was a big-time computer geek for most of my life, but i have never been happy with linux as a do-it-all. I chalk it up to bad luck,though, not bad linux.

I may give it a whirl again at home because so i can do some circuit board work... end of summer, maybe.
Ah, yes, that too. If I use the NVidia driver, it doesn't handle the dock well, but with the standard driver, it docks fine... without the 3D acceleration of course. Fortunately I don't use anything that needs it while on the dock.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com