View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
I'm looking at replacing the old Toyota pickup. The Versa Basic looks like it is set up for decent hypermiling. It has no unnecessary power stuff like windows, locks, etc. There is no AC, which is OK with me because my current vehicle doesn't have it either and I live up north. It is relatively lightweight. The motor is 1.6 liter which is still bigger than the mighty Metro 1.0 but at least its a little smaller than the stock 1.8. There is no cruise control which is a big minus for me. The front end looks pretty easy to block the grill openings and add an air dam. The wheels are 14" which makes the vehicle lower to the ground. It is a five speed manual which is just what I need for EOC, although a 6 speed would be better. The price is right. I am looking at a job that I will need to commute 40 miles each way. The Toyota pickup is pretty bouncy and is getting old.

I'm just looking for some comments before I go out and try to get prices on this thing.
In the same price range, I believe the Yaris is slightly more efficient (i.e. 1 mpg or so.) C&D seems to approve of the Versa. If you can wait a year, I believe the Toyota IQ is coming next year, which will have much higher mileage for roughly the same money.