View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFry View Post
Nice Idea in the pre-gps satillite tracking systems. The sat. dispatching system also keeps all my truck's diagnostics, too. Depending how close they want to micro-manage, they can check actual miles against dispatch miles if they wanted to. I'm sure if someone was to give them a reason, they might look. It is kind of easy to get lost in 1000+ trucks though. They take their mileage figures straight from the computer. Other drivers have said, "why not just add a couple of gallons (of diesel fuel) out of pocket over the quarter?" If they went strictly on actual fuel purchases, I guess that could be done. I'd "F" it up though. I'd put to much in and go from an 8 to 15 mpg. lol. They wouldn't catch that, would they?
Sorry, replied again before I saw this. I wonder if they compared his GPS miles to his dispatch miles, or for that matter, to his odometer miles. Not to take away his accomplishment, but like my calculations showed above, even 1,000 miles at 50 mpg is only worth about .2 mpg overall at the end of the quarter. He's either a master ecodriver (who should be made a trainer), or he's figured out a way around the system.

In any event, 1,100 trucks averaging 8.5 mpg instead of 6, at 120,000 miles per year each, saves the company over 6.4 million gallons of diesel a year. That's well worth giving away a few Harleys, even if someone cheats a bit to get it. (After all, he still needs to drive well to even be able to cheat the rest of the way.)