View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #178 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donee View Post
Hi Chris,

Well, for one reason that eventually those cars will rust out and crash allot sooner than the 2009 cars.

I will be the first to tell anyone I do not like Top Gear. I do not like what they do on the show, and I do not like this phony project being put up as a way for the average American to use less fuel. It is what it is. Its is a way for capable mechanics to put sweat equity into a car and get a good result for himself. It may even be a new formula for amatuer racing, say on 100 percent bio-diesel.

But , as soon as this is done for somebody else, for use on the public roads, there is a whole world of issues that cut into the mileage equation.

And I still think that Top Gear needs to take it out in the desert and fill it with 50 caliber machine-gun bullets to avoid being called hypocrits.
I think the point is that if they can take a random small car, shoehorn in a way-too-big engine and get 7 seconds and 70 mpg for under $7k, Ford should be able to do the same for less than, say, the $1 billion that the last Explorer facelift cost. Plus, like a lot of old-fashioned builds, it's a fun challenge.

Remember also that Top Gear America are not that same people as Top Gear. These are car guys formerly of American car magazines like Sport Compact Car. They don't have Jeremy Clarkson to push the editorial direction into complete fantasy like Top Gear did on their evaluation of the Tesla. (Jared, in fact, has done some photos FOR Tesla.)