Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Did you pick up any new tips from the list?
Yes 267 92.39%
No 22 7.61%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #301 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maybe you've already addressed this, but I'm curious why you encourage drivers to shift into neutral instead of park in the following tip:
"29) Minimize idling when stopped
If you're going to be stopped for more than a few seconds, shift to neutral and shut off your engine. This is one of the main reasons hybrid vehicles get such good fuel economy in urban driving."

I'm guessing it has something to do with conserving your rolling momentum? Does using neutral instead of park actually save any fuel?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #302 (permalink)
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestagrrl View Post
Maybe you've already addressed this, but I'm curious why you encourage drivers to shift into neutral instead of park in the following tip:
If you're going to be stopped for more than a few seconds, shift to neutral and shut off your engine. This is one of the main reasons hybrid vehicles get such good fuel economy in urban driving."

I'm guessing it has something to do with conserving your rolling momentum? Does using neutral instead of park actually save any fuel?
neutral and park would yield the same benefit (engine has no-load) so either would be the same from a eco minded perspective (except the park position activates a pawl that keeps the car from rolling).

i think the recommendation has more to do with engine load on a automatic transmission equipped vehicle when the car is in Drive and the brake is being applied to stop forward momentum.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #303 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:

There's no rolling momentum to conserve with this tip.
The tip is about shutting down the engine when you're stopped - traffic light, traffic jam, waiting.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #304 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrob View Post
One such doubter was Reuben Smeed, the founder of Smeeds law, who said that road deaths were related to traffic congestion. Increasing traffic volume leads to an increase in fatalities per capita,
The facts are proving him wrong.
Quote:
but a decrease in fatalities per vehicle.
That's actually happening.
Quote:
Others say its vehicle-miles that matter.
Traffic volume, # vehicles, and # miles driven are all on the increase.
Traffic deaths are down against all of these factors.

Despite these increases, in Belgium the total amount of fuel used is dropping !

Quote:
Another, I think Adams, said that the emerging 3rd world countries have the same death rate any of our countries had decades ago regardless of the safety features that our cars now have and that it correlates with Smeeds law.
They don't have our cars, but are often driving older and/or older-technology cars that are less safe - and often more pollutant.
Africa is full of European hand-me-downs that would otherwise have been scrapped here.

Even their new cars aren't up to EU or US spec regarding safety.
You don't want to crash while driving in, say, a Tata Nano.

Quote:
Its just that I didnt expect this outcome. I was not even looking for a fuel saving benefit.
Well, you've proven that you can use less gas.
It's all down to the way you drive.
Put your seatbelt on and drive the way you did without it, you'll see the same benefit.

Adjust the nut.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #305 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
Quote:

no it uses the same amount but in order to go into park you have to go past reverse witch i have seen people behind guys that put there cars in park freak out when the reverse light comes on for that little bit when you go into park. it's best to just go into nuetral to because your use to getting out of nuetral anyway, and if you put your car in park and don't remember that little bump you normally do from neutral to drive becomes a bump from park to reverse.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #306 (permalink)
Underground Man

Lil Blue - '91 Geo Metro
90 day: 52.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Functionally it adds nothing to your trip, but it will help the MPG numbers slightly.
Quite absurd to have something that is functionally WORSE (more time wasted, worse parking spot) for the sake of increasing MPG number.

Another one maybe you should add along this one:
1) Find the most fuel efficient circle to drive in 2) Drive around in circle until your average MPG is lowered to the goal you want 3) If you just drive around in circle for the whole tank, you will reach your maximum MPG (better start looking for an even better circle!)

And now a real hypermile technique that probably won't be added to the list although it belongs:
Don't stop at stop signs and possibly red lights if there is no traffic around.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #307 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovie View Post
and if you put your car in park and don't remember that little bump you normally do from neutral to drive becomes a bump from park to reverse.
Been there done that, luckily the guy behind me was back about a car length. when i pop my Jeep into gear i wait about 3 seconds before i touch the gas, so i wasn't even close to hitting him when he honked at me. that was about 8 months ago, and i haven't done it since

Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #308 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Righto. Thankyou. I will remember that in future. Its been an interesting discussion. Very difficult to raise this sort of questioning at any time.
Just out of interest the fuel consumption is now down to 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres( about 29 mpg ). It was at 11.3L/100K. The key to it is fear. If you are not afraid to drive without a seatbelt there might be no effect.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #309 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Just out of interest the fuel consumption is now down to 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres( about 29 mpg ). It was at 11.3L/100K.
You can get that with the seatbelt on.

Quote:
The key to it is fear. If you are not afraid to drive without a seatbelt there might be no effect.
Even the fear will wear off over time, and the positive effect on your fuel consumption will likely wear off with it.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #310 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actwithclarity View Post
Quite absurd to have something that is functionally WORSE (more time wasted, worse parking spot) for the sake of increasing MPG number.
I'm not sure what you refer exactly, but I think it is the idea of choosing to park further off from stores and such in a parkinglot. I do that. I park in the first place, just off the street, that I can find. If I can conveniently get what I call a 10+mph hill, I use that too (bump start the car). As a result, I walk a bit more, I save gas, and I enjoy the hypermiling game. Win. Win. Win.

Quote:
Another one maybe you should add along this one: 1) Find the most fuel efficient circle to drive in 2) Drive around in circle until your average MPG is lowered to the goal you want 3) If you just drive around in circle for the whole tank, you will reach your maximum MPG (better start looking for an even better circle!)
Yuck. THAT'S a waste of time. But it's your car...

Quote:
And now a real hypermile technique that probably won't be added to the list although it belongs:
Don't stop at stop signs and possibly red lights if there is no traffic around.
I already do this, though not at traffic lights because they are on roads with more frequent policing!

Last comment: my man, this whole life is absurd, but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread