Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
You can buy a receiver hitch for about $150. Then get a cargo carrier that mounts in the receiver hitch like this one:
Amazon.com: TMS T-CCR1948KB Heavy Duty Hitch Mounted Cargo Basket Luggage Carrier Hauler, 2-Inch: Automotive

For $40. (I've never used this particular carrier, but it looks reasonably well made, especially for the price)

Then get some waterproof totes and strap them in when you go. That's well within your $500 budget and keeps your luggage in your wake as well as down low so it's easier to get into it. It does make the rear hatch harder to use though...
Harbor Freight has a very nice aluminum cargo carrier for $99 that has rails all around.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Guys, Sarguy stated pretty clearly he doesn't want a trailer, and I looked up the Mazda5 and the website says, pretty plainly, "no towing."

I don't think there are even any decent hardpoints to be had for adding a hitch, and though I'm certain it wouldn't be difficult to add some, it doesn't feel to me like he wants to do something as irreversible as that.

The whole point I'm getting here is you're trying to put the luggage still on the car, but leave room inside for dogs, right?

Awesome dogs, by the way. The picture of the little one at the top of the thread actually wrangled a "D'AWWww!" out of me, which isn't easy.

Your points about the trailer are right on. In my area enforcement on the registration and lights is spotty, where it exists at all, but I'm right there with you about the registration and lights. It would drive me bonkers, no lights die like trailer lights in my experience, and every once in a while you find a LEO who just cannot let them go by.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Guys, Sarguy stated pretty clearly he doesn't want a trailer, and I looked up the Mazda5 and the website says, pretty plainly, "no towing."

I don't think there are even any decent hardpoints to be had for adding a hitch, and though I'm certain it wouldn't be difficult to add some, it doesn't feel to me like he wants to do something as irreversible as that.

The whole point I'm getting here is you're trying to put the luggage still on the car, but leave room inside for dogs, right?

Awesome dogs, by the way. The picture of the little one at the top of the thread actually wrangled a "D'AWWww!" out of me, which isn't easy.

Your points about the trailer are right on. In my area enforcement on the registration and lights is spotty, where it exists at all, but I'm right there with you about the registration and lights. It would drive me bonkers, no lights die like trailer lights in my experience, and every once in a while you find a LEO who just cannot let them go by.
I don't mind the hitch, but I don't think it's the way I want to go. A roof bag would distribute the weight a little better. But, I did ask for all suggestions and appreciate every one.

Yes, the point is that I need to put luggage somewhere not inside the car. He takes up almost half the trunk and she can sit on a lap for now. But, she is growing and in 6-8 months she will probably be 50-60 pounds. So, there goes the other half the trunk!

Thanks! They are both great dogs, especially with the kids.

Trailers are a pain sometimes. I'd have to wire a harness in, which isn't a big deal, but some of them come with the quick splices (those plastic clips that bite through the wire insulation). I'd prefer the type that plugs in between the taillight harness plug. Plus, a little trailer at freeway speeds can be a pain, and I won't even mention my wife driving a car with a trailer attached. I can see it now, "Oops, I forgot the trailer was back there and jackknifed it backing out of the parking spot".
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
I know it's way over budget and you don't want a trailer, but I can't believe it's taken so long for companies to start producing these:

Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer - 66" Yakima Trailers Y08106

Yakima = way overpriced ($1,719.20) but I LOVE the concept. Super skinny tires for LRR and aero, extremely lightweight (150lbs for the trailer) and carries a 250lb box with standard roof rack mounts, but nice and low for easy access... and tucked nicely into your slipstream. On fairly flat land, there'd probably be almost no hit at all to MPG (obviously more on hilly terrain). Just posting the fact that they exist for more people to know something so awesome exists .

It's my fantasy road trip rig for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (06-03-2014), slowmover (06-08-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
I know it's way over budget and you don't want a trailer, but I can't believe it's taken so long for companies to start producing these:

Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer - 66" Yakima Trailers Y08106

Yakima = way overpriced ($1,719.20) but I LOVE the concept. Super skinny tires for LRR and aero, extremely lightweight (150lbs for the trailer) and carries a 250lb box with standard roof rack mounts, but nice and low for easy access... and tucked nicely into your slipstream. On fairly flat land, there'd probably be almost no hit at all to MPG (obviously more on hilly terrain). Just posting the fact that they exist for more people to know something so awesome exists .

It's my fantasy road trip rig for sure.
Thanks for sharing.

You know, if one was mechanically inclined, they could build themselves a trailer for a lot less. That thing is nice, but a DIY trailer would save a lot and you could probably get most of the parts from Walmart.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Novice

Have you named the dogs yet?

My nephew has a Pit and she is a goofy hoot.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Thank you for rescuing a shelter pet!

Emily Dickenson when she was a kitten:

Thor a week or so ago:

Hmm...do we have a show your pet thread?
This may be a bit cheesy for you, but if it were me- I would take a bike rack ($60 at Walmart, $25 on craigslist) and secure the bags to it. If I wanted something more aerodynamic and aesthetic, I would turn it into a boat tail like on my Insight. As long as the top can open the baggage can go in and out, and when it's empty the hatch can be opened no problem.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

They do over at MyTractorForum.com, and even a somewhat macabre/tearjerking past pets section.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Have you named the dogs yet?

My nephew has a Pit and she is a goofy hoot.
His name is Duke. That was his name when I adopted him. It was funny because my name is Luke. I was going to change it but no one thought I should.

Her name was Jasmine, but we changed it to Duchess. We thought it was fitting.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Thank you for rescuing a shelter pet!

Emily Dickenson when she was a kitten:

Thor a week or so ago:

This may be a bit cheesy for you, but if it were me- I would take a bike rack ($60 at Walmart, $25 on craigslist) and secure the bags to it. If I wanted something more aerodynamic and aesthetic, I would turn it into a boat tail like on my Insight. As long as the top can open the baggage can go in and out, and when it's empty the hatch can be opened no problem.
Nice animals! Yes, adoption is the only way for us. I would never pay for a dog. I do like pure breds, but I prefer mutts. They seem to be healthier.

I already have one of those strap on bike racks, so putting a container or bag on it might be an idea. Especially since the rack budget is slowly dying. I spent $175 on adopting the puppy, then needed to buy a shampooer/shampoo for $240, puppy food/toys/Nature's Miracle for $100, then Duke got sick with an ear infection, eye infection and the runs. His vet bill was $340.

The shampooer was on our list to buy, but after Duke had several accidents in the house, we really needed it.

Reply  Post New Thread