Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
AllDark uses the word "polemic" frequently, yet I've never seen or heard it used before then. AllDark is a bot!
We are not responsible for your limited knowledge of English :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard
I though he meant a Simple Desultory Phillipic.
Hummm...
Quote:
I knew a man, his brain was so small,
He couldn't think of nothing at all.
He's not the same as you and me.
Remind you of anyone in particular?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'm sure he means "controversial". It's so easy for someone who speaks Portuguese to make a lot of mistakes and get lost in the translations while not being so used to write in English.
I have a friend who speaks English better than 99% of native speakers, yet in written form his Korean education becomes obvious. My assumption is that writing in a non-native language is more difficult than speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I though he meant a Simple Desultory Phillipic.
I understand even less of the words you use than AllDark. freebeard is a bot for sure! Mods!

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
My assumption is that writing in a non-native language is more difficult than speaking.
I really don't have a good answer for that. Pronounce might not be so easy for a non-native speaker, and so is grammar, even though English grammar is easier to learn than Portuguese (either the Brazilian Portuguese or the one spoken in mainland Portugal and other former colonies in Africa and East Timor).
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
My assumption is that writing in a non-native language is more difficult than speaking.
I find it just the other way around. Reading is fairly easy, writing more difficult but doable. Actually speaking the language, or understanding it when spoken as a native would is almost impossible.

But then I find reading & writing English much easier than speaking it. As for listening... well, it depends on the dialect. For instance, my friends watch reruns of a TV show about people from New York City (Steinfeld?), and I can understand about half of what they're saying, even though I grew up only a couple of hundred miles away (but in a very different world).
Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Back to autonomy. I went on a camping trip with some friends this weekend and his grand cherokee has the acc and lka package installed. I noticed the entire time it just made him a lazier driver and he more or less relied on the car to tailgate the driver in front of him the whole time. He even bragged and talked about how good the car was for trips. I told him at the end, "Bro... you're giving me anxiety over here by tailgating literally everyone and having the car ride the damn brakes the whole time."
I see another regression of human skill in favor of technology coming here. lol
Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Back to autonomy. I went on a camping trip with some friends this weekend and his grand cherokee has the acc and lka package installed. I noticed the entire time it just made him a lazier driver and he more or less relied on the car to tailgate the driver in front of him the whole time. He even bragged and talked about how good the car was for trips. I told him at the end, "Bro... you're giving me anxiety over here by tailgating literally everyone and having the car ride the damn brakes the whole time."
I see another regression of human skill in favor of technology coming here. lol
ACC usually has an adjustable following distance. Did he have it set to the minimum?

I've been curious about ACC and how it behaves. My normal method is to begin coasting when I see traffic slowing down on the freeway. Rarely do I need to touch the brakes. I even rarely use brakes when in stop and go traffic because I drive the average speed of traffic rather than make sure my bumper is glued to the one in front of me. It takes some of the tediousness out of driving a stick in stop and go traffic too, since I'm rarely using 1st gear or starting from a dead stop.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
ACC usually has an adjustable following distance. Did he have it set to the minimum?

I've been curious about ACC and how it behaves. My normal method is to begin coasting when I see traffic slowing down on the freeway. Rarely do I need to touch the brakes. I even rarely use brakes when in stop and go traffic because I drive the average speed of traffic rather than make sure my bumper is glued to the one in front of me. It takes some of the tediousness out of driving a stick in stop and go traffic too, since I'm rarely using 1st gear or starting from a dead stop.
It had adjustability between 1-4 seconds. I think he had it on one-two and it would pretty much get up on someones ass like a road rage driver if they were trying to turn off. lol
Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #48 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
As I was walking to the auto parts store an hour ago, I had to cross an intersection in front of a Nissan Rogue that was stopped in the crosswalk waiting to turn. The driver had the stereo blasting and was eating dinner off a plate with a fork...and trying to drive. When the driver didn't look my way at all, I decided it was safer to cross behind her car.

That's the sort of person--surrounded by distractions, not paying attention to any one thing because we simply can't do that when presented with so many stimuli--who autonomous cars will be perfect for, and honestly I'll feel a lot safer when they get here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (01-16-2019), Joggernot (01-15-2019), redpoint5 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #49 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
That's the sort of person--surrounded by distractions, not paying attention to any one thing because we simply can't do that when presented with so many stimuli--who autonomous cars will be perfect for, and honestly I'll feel a lot safer when they get here.
Sure, but I still believe some interface for human input might be available to allow someone to drive, even if it's an app integrated to a smartphone. I know it might not be the best interface, but wouldn't surprise me to see it happening.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
https://dilbert.com/

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-24-2019), niky (01-24-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread