Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
We can't have wood stove or fireplace inserts. Old masonry fireplaces can stay and even burn (inefficiently because you can't have an insert) on days that aren't a air alert. New masonry fireplaces have to have a gas insert. If you are selling a house anytime since like 1985 all wood stoves and inserts have to be removed before ownership transfer.
It did really help the winter air pollution, that and every mill closed for other reasons, and they used to waste burn all the chips and sawdust.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Reno has bans on using them, only low level days along with chimney nazis. (Hmmm: water and electricity nazis too. A trend?) Can't buy one new, and I cant have one in my house when I sell it, but the original fireplace is OK, however, it won't work because the stove installers usually cut out the damper. Might be in places in a valley
You live in Reno? Any idea if smog check in NV cares if you have a stock ECU tune or not? If I don't have to flash my car back to stock for smog...that would be nice lol. I bumped up EGR and ignition advance so it probably runs cleaner than stock :P
Old 07-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird
We can't have wood stove or fireplace inserts.
All-electric living make me apprehensive. I'd be fine with a two gallon [size} rocket-stove. It could hang from the 4" stove pipe that used to service a gas furnace.

Rocket stoves have a secondary combustion 'afterburner' that consumes the smoke. What do your bureaucrats think of that?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #54 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
All-electric living make me apprehensive.
I used to rely on all-electric appliances for a while, not to mention electric showers are quite a standard in my country. Now the only reason why I still consider keeping a small electric stove at home is for situations when the LPG bottle for the regular stove gets empty while I'm cooking something.

Quote:
I'd be fine with a two gallon [size} rocket-stove.
Last time I had the LPG to end before I finished cooking, I set fire to alcohol on a small can because it was late-night and I had to wait until the following morning to get an LPG delivery.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
It's more about space heating here. ...and air conditioning and hot water. ...and cooking.

...and the little Raspbeerry Pi that is my connction to the world.

But since I wrote that at 10:48 AM everything has changed.

ecomodder.com/.../software-defined-power

I ranted about this before when it was theoretical, now it's being rolled out in California by Tesla.

I need the Powerwall because it's the hardware platform for the Virtual Power Plant, but my situation calls for a standing seam metal substrate. Those panels are half the cost, too.

The local utility has to be onboard, but I can be ready for them and sell peaker power into my neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
We can't have wood stove or fireplace inserts. Old masonry fireplaces can stay and even burn (inefficiently because you can't have an insert) on days that aren't a air alert. New masonry fireplaces have to have a gas insert. If you are selling a house anytime since like 1985 all wood stoves and inserts have to be removed before ownership transfer.
It did really help the winter air pollution, that and every mill closed for other reasons, and they used to waste burn all the chips and sawdust.
Oregon has a similar law about removing old wood stoves and inserts when a house is sold. However, they can be replaced with new CARB certified stoves or insert.

This link from the Missoula County, Montana says you can install EPA approved wood stoves with PM emissions of 1 gram per hour or less.
https://www.missoulacounty.us/govern...-installations
Old 07-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Oregon has a similar law about removing old wood stoves and inserts when a house is sold. However, they can be replaced with new CARB certified stoves or insert.

This link from the Missoula County, Montana says you can install EPA approved wood stoves with PM emissions of 1 gram per hour or less.
https://www.missoulacounty.us/govern...-installations
Those would be pellet stoves. I guess "wood" but not cut/split log. I said you had to remove inserts, but that again means cut/split log burning, not gas or pellet.

I would love a rocket mass heater, and I did build a semi portable one for a squatters shack out innthe woods, but again, that wouldn't be EPA certified for use in the city.

It is just a city thing, go outside innthe county something like 5 or 10 miles and lots have wood stoves.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
All-electric living make me apprehensive. I'd be fine with a two gallon [size} rocket-stove. It could hang from the 4" stove pipe that used to service a gas furnace.

Rocket stoves have a secondary combustion 'afterburner' that consumes the smoke. What do your bureaucrats think of that?
Luckily our home was built in the 40s with a coal furnace. In the 50s they added a forced air oil burning furnace. A cool looking art decor styled one from "AC Delco". That furnace was "converted" to natural gas by running a single electric valved gas line into the burn chamber with an ignitor on the tip. That scared the crap out of me so we replaced it with a common Goodman Janitorial 80% efficent gas furnace when we moved in 20 years ago. The hot water and stove remained electric. The furnace still requires electricity to run but not more than a small generator could provide. We also can burn the fireplace if we lose all power and even if there was an inversion that would be legal as it would be the only source of heat at that point.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #59 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,114 Times in 983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
You live in Reno? Any idea if smog check in NV cares if you have a stock ECU tune or not? If I don't have to flash my car back to stock for smog...that would be nice lol. I bumped up EGR and ignition advance so it probably runs cleaner than stock :P
Cant verify gassers, but the diesel Golf does not get a computer check except for engine check light being off. I can theoretically run any tune I want as long as the tailpipe stays below soot specs. I'm stock tune because the dealer does check and tunes void the dieselgate warranty.

If you don't live in washoe, clark or storey county, there is no smog check so a lot of people commute the twenty or so miles. The gigafactory people drive 5miles over a hill.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #60 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Those would be pellet stoves. I guess "wood" but not cut/split log. I said you had to remove inserts, but that again means cut/split log burning, not gas or pellet.
Limiting wood stoves to only pellet is odd. If you click through to the list of approved stoves and you will find EPA approved pellet, crib wood, and cord wood stoves.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodsto...tion=app.about

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood Stoves.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	31078

Last edited by JSH; 07-24-2021 at 12:29 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread