Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2023, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Camper/ travel trailer diy under 2,000lbs

I've been wanting a small camper for a long time now, tent camping just isn't the blast that it used to be.

There are a few guides, discussions, etc about how to do it cheapest, roomiest, etc but what I don't see is people who want to keep their tow rig optimally efficient.

My idea is somewhat borrowed from an individual on a forum who built a camper/ toy hauler from an old boat trailer and a semi truck's sleeper.

I like the idea and happen to have a boat trailer albeit quite a bit larger than his but I plan to turn the box so that the short (5 foot) side is facing forward instead of the (8 foot) side as is his design.

I was able to find basically exactly the same sleeper locally for $800 which is much more reasonable than an enclosed trailer here.

I have a ridiculously long tongue to deal with, tandem axles and a plasma cutter.

The plan is to pull with my 01 beetle tdi with a class 1 hitch rated at 2,000 lbs so I need to keep it as light weight as possible.

I would like to include a truncated boat tail, probably some skirts and wheel covers.

Open to any and all suggestions. Please open my eyes to whatever I may be missing.

Thanks,
Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81d74f57b1d9e64c404d72be3788c8b4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	34017  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
trailer aero

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-a...l-trailers.jpgI recommend that you visit the website for the Airship 1, telescoping, RV travel trailer, with an eye towards the relationship between the tow vehicle & trailer as a aerodynamic singularity.
A boat tail cannot function until all turbulence upstream has been eliminated.
All that void, between the front face of the sleeper and the tongue needs to be enclosed by some sort of structure which integrates what you have, to the back of the tow vehicle. This includes the trailer's underbody.
The 'lightest' solutions would be to:
1) find a commercial awning manufacturer who can create an aluminum skeleton, and then cover with a taut aerospace fabric, as you see used with inflatable advertising.
2) find an auto/marine/ aircraft upholstery shop which can tailor and sew an inflatable envelope, strapped to the trailer 'floor', which takes on the desired form, when connected to a 12-VDC blower, powered by an electrical umbilical cord passing forwards to your battery.
3) or find an old high school, gear-drive SINGER sewing machine, from a home-economics classroom, and teach yourself how to do it yourself.
I'll try and link a photo of a commercial product from England which was never offered for sale in the USA which will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	member-aerohead-albums-other+vehicles+1-picture240-aero-mpg-travel-trailers.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	34018  

Last edited by aerohead; 08-03-2023 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: add photo
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
razordave (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thank you aerohead. I had seen a few similar ideas for the rear of a semi trailer, maybe it was you as well? But I had not thought to implement such a method.

I may buy a 10 foot John boat and was thinking of putting it on the roof of the tow rig but maybe it will become the front tapered face of the trailer?

I will update as my plan progresses and I gather materials and supplies.
The Following User Says Thank You to razordave For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
First qustion: Do you need the trailer? It's unfortunate that tinypic.com ate all the pictures but in ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ompact camper alternative: New Beetle TDI with hard mounted pop up tent member HHOTDI found that repositioning a rooftop tent to a post on the trailer hitch increased the MPG over the bare configuration.

That brick shape for $800? Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View forum - Foamies

The gap problem aerohead point to would be minimized with a single-wheel trailer. It would make the underbody transition managable.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
razordave (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
'john boat'

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post
Thank you aerohead. I had seen a few similar ideas for the rear of a semi trailer, maybe it was you as well? But I had not thought to implement such a method.

I may buy a 10 foot John boat and was thinking of putting it on the roof of the tow rig but maybe it will become the front tapered face of the trailer?

I will update as my plan progresses and I gather materials and supplies.
They're very light! Upside-down, with the prow into the 'wind', the air would favor it! If the height of the TV and Trailer roofs matched, even better.
Long ago, expedition rigs combined boats with trailers to create better sectional density, less porosity, and they did take care to match structure to structure.
Good thinking!
Plus you'd have a boat, and option to incorporate into travel plans.
razordave (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Freebeard, I probably don't need need need the trailer, but if I decide to take my garden tractor on an expedition or build a mud mower or even buy an atv, it would be handy to drag the toys with me.

I lived in a semi truck for the past 18 months so maybe I lost my mind and have already turned into Ray from trailer park boys.. livin in an old sleeper cab down in the dump lol

My plan is to build it as a bare bones camper and utilize it as secure dry storage, at least until I can muster up enough funds to meander around the country.

Last edited by razordave; 08-10-2023 at 03:08 AM..
freebeard (08-03-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here is my design for a teardrop/tent trailer.

razordave (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 02:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That's super slick. �� maybe someday when I learn how to use a sewing machine proficiently..

I have a 3 person tent brand new in the package, it'll probably stay there at least until autumn.

I'm usually more interested in preparing food than base camp setup, hence why I'm considering dragging the lodge around behind me.
freebeard (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 03:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's a scan of a sketch done in the 1970s (hence the thumb print). There is one other design that is produceable, maybe not as suited to your needs

Originally an ice fishing hut, it could serve as a outhouse, tool shed, coffee kiosk... anything that needs a door.

razordave (08-04-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 03:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck topper

So.. I was given an old aluminum truck cap.

Possibly from an old s10. The roof is 3 inches wider than the roof of the beetle. From the trailing edge of my sunroof, the cap is the same distance to my hitch.

I am trying to work out in my head how to mount this without too much irreversible modifications to the car. So far I'm thinking to cut the front side completely out and maybe remove the hatch from the car.

I think I want to mount to the hitch, but I also don't want to inhibit pulling a trailer.

Maybe it will turn out like the rooftop camper that freebeard mentioned in the earlier post

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m87001508340_1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	34050  
freebeard (08-10-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread