Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Catalytic Convert Confusion/Civic VX

Today, I'd discovered that I had a cracked exhaust manifold when I'd decided to remove the heat shield. Bummed as I was, it then occurred to me that this was probably the reason why I was getting poor gas mileage (i.e. about 37ish mpg) on my 94 Civic VX.

As I was contemplating how I was going to deal with 20yrs. of corrosion on the bolts, it then occurred to me that instead of having what would ordinarily appear to be a catalytic converter, I instead have an exhaust manifold that connects to two down pipes. Additionally, the 02 sensor threads directly into the manifold as illustrated in this picture.

My question to the forum is if whether or not, the catalytic converter is somehow integrated into the exhaust manifold.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VX Exhaust Manifold.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	15187  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Can anyone seem to identify what it is that I have? I find any examples of this over the internet that provides any explanation.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
That's not right. You seem to have a car that had its CAT deleted at some point.

Here is the image that comes up from Majestic Honda when I look up the exhaust system for Civic VX for 1994 (great site by the way):

And here is an image from Majestic of the exhaust manifold:

Compare your set up:
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-14-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
That's not right. You seem to have a car that had its CAT deleted at some point.

Here is the image that comes up from Majestic Honda when I look up the exhaust system for Civic VX for 1994 (great site by the way):

And here is an image from Majestic of the exhaust manifold:
That's just the same parts diagram that I kept running into which added to my confusion. Okay then, it looks like I may have to bite the bullet.

I seem to be able to get the stock exhaust manifold; but the catalytic converter itself is proving difficult to find. If not from Majestic Honda, are there any aftermarket equivalents that will help me to achieve the same gas mileage?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
If not from Majestic Honda, are there any aftermarket equivalents that will help me to achieve the same gas mileage?
Not that I know of. Check car-part.com. And on my car's garage site here at EM I list the most commonly recommended sites for parts by guys here. They're at the start of my "planned mods" section. I have seen VX owners running into this problem quite a bit.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the lead, I was fortunate enough to find the exhaust manifold at Car-part.com, however they don't seem to list the catalytic converter on their site. That's one part down.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It looks like I may have to recant. The part that I had found from a Car-part.com comes from a Civic CX. I'm not certain if that matters. Fuel efficient wise, are they interchangeable?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
It looks like I may have to recant. The part that I had found from a Car-part.com comes from a Civic CX. I'm not certain if that matters. Fuel efficient wise, are they interchangeable?
I'd check the Majestic Honda site and compare their images of the 1992-1995 CX and the VX manifolds and CATs. But my gut tells me they are different. The VX manifold is part of the car's "magic mileage" design (i.e. "lean burn") as I understand it.

james

Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting tri-y exhaust manifold or should I say 4 to 2 to 1.

My car has no header, just an oval opening to the cat 1, then cat 2 is around the corner.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Interesting tri-y exhaust manifold or should I say 4 to 2 to 1.

My car has no header, just an oval opening to the cat 1, then cat 2 is around the corner.
Excellent, we've finally been able to identify the setup that I have on my car. Now, the next question is whether or not it's stock, or if it's beneficial to fuel economy.

Reply  Post New Thread