Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
If its the same part number, its the same part. I use the honda catalog for modding my insight by doing just that. I find a lot of insight and fit part numbers are identical. Other times I google the part number or ebay to see if I can find another part cheaper. Take the fog lamp. I found a 100 dollar insight fog lamp or china made one with harness for 40 bucks.

Yes, more torque or low end is the case. I had a weapon r 4 to 2 to 1 header and it made my xa torque more and allowed me to short shift.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
If its the same part number, its the same part. I use the honda catalog for modding my insight by doing just that. I find a lot of insight and fit part numbers are identical. Other times I google the part number or ebay to see if I can find another part cheaper. Take the fog lamp. I found a 100 dollar insight fog lamp or china made one with harness for 40 bucks.

Yes, more torque or low end is the case. I had a weapon r 4 to 2 to 1 header and it made my xa torque more and allowed me to short shift.
That encouraging, now if only I could find the stock catalytic converter for less than what's quoted on Majestic Honda. Knowing that much may help a lot of people who will inevitably run into this problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,302 Posts
There are companies that rebuild cats if you can find a donor part.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Cobb (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
There are companies that rebuild cats if you can find a donor part.

regards
Mech
Who comes to mind?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,302 Posts
I'll check with my body shop buddy. Here is a link to another possible source. The cat in the VX is as close asit can be to the exhaust port. I think that is because lean burn makes it necessary to keep the converter temperature high enough for it to work properly.

Catalytic Converters - Auto Parts Warehouse

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I'll check with my body shop buddy. Here is a link to another possible source. The cat in the VX is as close asit can be to the exhaust port. I think that is because lean burn makes it necessary to keep the converter temperature high enough for it to work properly.

Catalytic Converters - Auto Parts Warehouse

regards
Mech
Do you think this aftermarket CAT will achieve the same mpg as an OEM part?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davo53209@yahoo.com For This Useful Post:
Cobb (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,302 Posts
A 94 VX was OBD 1. I don't think you have the ODB2 sensor that tests the exhaust after the cat. I would think that as long as the flow was not significantly different, the mileage should be close to the same, but much better than you are getting with a cracked manifold.

One reason why I am not especially interested in VXs at their present age is the availability of replacement parts, but that applies just to me. You might have luck at a pick and pull and statelaws vary a lot about what you can do for replacements.

There was a thread by a member here who could not find a manifold for his VX. It was a California version. Seems stupid to me to make used ones illegal or rebuilt ones, when you can't get one OEM. The rebuilt ones I remember were the original casing with new guts.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
You can also buy generic cats.



2 5" Universal Catalytic Converter Universal 2 1 2 inches Cat Made USA 2 5 In | eBay
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 176
Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
These are all great suggestion and with that in mind, it makes me wonder if anyone on this forum has ever taken the plunge and utilized an aftermarket catalytic converter for the Vx, while maintaining the same MPG. Anyone out there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
When I get the cash to redo the exhaust on my sidekick I plan on using one. I am also sure the stock cat is shot at this point and I know I could gut it to make it a resonator or remove it. I just dont want to knowingly release any more bad gas to the atmosphere than I need to, to get from point a to b.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com