Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If its the same part number, its the same part. I use the honda catalog for modding my insight by doing just that. I find a lot of insight and fit part numbers are identical. Other times I google the part number or ebay to see if I can find another part cheaper. Take the fog lamp. I found a 100 dollar insight fog lamp or china made one with harness for 40 bucks.

Yes, more torque or low end is the case. I had a weapon r 4 to 2 to 1 header and it made my xa torque more and allowed me to short shift.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
If its the same part number, its the same part. I use the honda catalog for modding my insight by doing just that. I find a lot of insight and fit part numbers are identical. Other times I google the part number or ebay to see if I can find another part cheaper. Take the fog lamp. I found a 100 dollar insight fog lamp or china made one with harness for 40 bucks.

Yes, more torque or low end is the case. I had a weapon r 4 to 2 to 1 header and it made my xa torque more and allowed me to short shift.
That encouraging, now if only I could find the stock catalytic converter for less than what's quoted on Majestic Honda. Knowing that much may help a lot of people who will inevitably run into this problem.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
There are companies that rebuild cats if you can find a donor part.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Cobb (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
There are companies that rebuild cats if you can find a donor part.

regards
Mech
Who comes to mind?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'll check with my body shop buddy. Here is a link to another possible source. The cat in the VX is as close asit can be to the exhaust port. I think that is because lean burn makes it necessary to keep the converter temperature high enough for it to work properly.

Catalytic Converters - Auto Parts Warehouse

regards
Mech
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I'll check with my body shop buddy. Here is a link to another possible source. The cat in the VX is as close asit can be to the exhaust port. I think that is because lean burn makes it necessary to keep the converter temperature high enough for it to work properly.

Catalytic Converters - Auto Parts Warehouse

regards
Mech
Do you think this aftermarket CAT will achieve the same mpg as an OEM part?
The Following User Says Thank You to Davo53209@yahoo.com For This Useful Post:
Cobb (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A 94 VX was OBD 1. I don't think you have the ODB2 sensor that tests the exhaust after the cat. I would think that as long as the flow was not significantly different, the mileage should be close to the same, but much better than you are getting with a cracked manifold.

One reason why I am not especially interested in VXs at their present age is the availability of replacement parts, but that applies just to me. You might have luck at a pick and pull and statelaws vary a lot about what you can do for replacements.

There was a thread by a member here who could not find a manifold for his VX. It was a California version. Seems stupid to me to make used ones illegal or rebuilt ones, when you can't get one OEM. The rebuilt ones I remember were the original casing with new guts.

regards
Mech
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You can also buy generic cats.

2 5" Universal Catalytic Converter Universal 2 1 2 inches Cat Made USA 2 5 In | eBay
Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
These are all great suggestion and with that in mind, it makes me wonder if anyone on this forum has ever taken the plunge and utilized an aftermarket catalytic converter for the Vx, while maintaining the same MPG. Anyone out there?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I get the cash to redo the exhaust on my sidekick I plan on using one. I am also sure the stock cat is shot at this point and I know I could gut it to make it a resonator or remove it. I just dont want to knowingly release any more bad gas to the atmosphere than I need to, to get from point a to b.

Reply  Post New Thread