Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #141 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jamesqf -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post

Oh, crap. That excuse again.
That's why these arguments degenerate down to belief systems. You call it an "excuse", I call it a contributing factor. I'm in agreement with Bicycle Bob. I don't think Haiti is a good example because there is evidence that other nations have interfered in their history :

Our role in Haiti's plight | Peter Hallward | Comment is free | The Guardian
Haiti Didn't Become a Poor Nation All on Its Own -- The U.S's Hidden Role in the Disaster | World | AlterNet
The US game in Latin America | Mark Weisbrot | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-07-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #142 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts

world

california

example of a typical exponential curve

not exponential

Last edited by Frank Lee; 03-08-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Only if you believe in infinite resources.

Aside from the basic sanity check another way to determine if it's exponential (Assuming for instance that someone didn't know the Earth was finite) is just running the numbers, which is a much better indicator than just looking at a graph since it's fairly common practice to screw w/ statistics in order to push some sort of agenduh. For instance in the few articles I've read from 'em, the Heritage Foundation seems to be extremely fond of misdirection in the context of some supposedly relevant but actually moot statistic.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Based on corruption, not on the amount of land per per person like you mentioned. Plenty of other countries live on ~1 acre/person w/o the same corruption seen in Haiti, and they're fine w/ that.
This seems an exercise in ignoring the obvious. To start with, your notion of corruption is ill-defined: what exactly do you mean by it? That - simplistically, I don't have time to write an essay - no one gets anything done without greasing the palms of those in power? So our Haitian friends migrate to such places as Miami and New York City, which were built on the same sort of corruption? Did someone mention logic a while back?

Now it's true that there's corruption and then there's corruption: the difference between wanting all the pie for yourself, and wanting a piece of an ever-larger pie.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I don't think Haiti is a good example because there is evidence that other nations have interfered in their history:
And where are you going to find any nation that hasn't had other nations interfering in its history? Germany & Japan, for instance, or China. This "interference" is what most people call history :-)
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #146 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jamesqf -

Quote:
And where are you going to find any nation that hasn't had other nations interfering in its history? Germany & Japan, for instance, or China. This "interference" is what most people call history :-)
Yes, but I think you can understand the difference in power between countries like the USA and Haiti. You just made this statement :

"Now it's true that there's corruption and then there's corruption"

In your words, I would make a similar statement :

"Now it's true that there's interference and then there's interference"

When you talk about Japan and Germany in history, I assume you are referring to the recent "bad" interference of defeating them in WWII. This doesn't seem like a good comparison to Haiti because Haiti was never a first-world power with Imperialistic ambitions.

In terms of "good" interference, I don't recall General MacArthur running Haiti or a Marshall Plan for Haiti. Both nations were given a "leg up" after WWII because there was a strategic interest to assist them in the fight against Communism. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we have been interfering in Haiti for all of the same reasons.

In addition, I would make the argument that it's easier for a larger power to influence a smaller power in it's own backyard. If the American Colonies didn't have the Atlantic between themselves and Great Britain, the American Revolution would have had a much harder time of it.

I think you are arguing details for the sake of arguing. I don't think you are considering other people's opinions and where they are coming from. You are arguing "without context". This reduces the quality of your posts and weakens your argument. Do you know what I mean?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
This seems an exercise in ignoring the obvious. To start with, your notion of corruption is ill-defined: what exactly do you mean by it?
It's in one of my previous posts, but since you don't seem interested in those, it's based on a survey of business people, academics and risk analysts by TI.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #148 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...here's their (Transparency International) "corruption" lists:

* Most corrupt:
Haiti
Burma
Iraq
Guinea
Sudan
DR Congo
Chad
Bangladesh
Uzbekistan
Equatorial Guinea

* Least corrupt:
Finland
Iceland
New Zealand <---congratulations
Denmark
Singapore
Sweden
Switzerland
Norway
Australia <---congratulations
Netherlands

BBC NEWS | Business | Haiti tops world corruption table
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #149 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
My understanding with the Egyptians was that information came from studying Mummies and Priests or the well to do in society. There diet was not solely grain like that of the poor but meals of beef, goose, bread, fruit, vegetables, cake, wine and beer. There alcohol consumption was high and since salt was a perservitive that was also very high.
Very simple exercise, what type of fats and cholesterol can be made from sugars and grain alone?

The answer, triglicerides, LDL and saturated fats.

Your caveman body desires to make as much cholesterol and fat as possible from food beyond what you use.

Carbs become saturated fats and LDL, period. Only proteins and existing fats become omega 3 and HDL.

You need cholesterol for every nerve in your body to function or you die.

Also starch and carbo diets increase your bodies ability to absorb and metabolize fat. Meaning that if you eat fat along with grains you will absorb much more than if you eat a protein & fat only based diet (plant or animal)
Hence why atikins can work if you follow it to a T.

Your body is designed primarily to eat protein/fat and carbohydrates separately.

This means to be healthy and eat carbohydrates/vegetables you need to consume primarily omega 3 fats with minimal Omega 6 or your levels of bad cholesterol skyrocket as your body attempts to make cholesterol from what you are feeding it.

That is why Italians who eat a lot of carbs, but also excercise more have very high cholesterol but also very low rates of heart disease (at least compared to us) because they eat an appropriate carb diet combining primarily good cholesterol containing meats, nuts and oils with the grain. Here it is very difficult to do this because of the variety of foods we eat. AKA foods of different types should not be consumed at one sitting as they don't get metabolized properly.

A vegan diet really is not possible on what americans consider vegan, to be a healthy vegan you would need to eat mostly exotics, algae, kelp, nuts and omega 3 containing oils. Minimal fruits (at least normal fruits) and minimal grains which just basically make you bulk up. Unless of coarse the grains and seeds (more appropriately) you eat again are not the normal set you get at a grocery store. Hard wheat, old types of grains, flax and others are better for you (especially sprouted) but only if you don't have Candida issues which most Americans do and only if they are consumed with omega 3 fats, Omega 6 will cause weight gain and heart disease, consumed with grain.

I have known many vegans in my life and I have never met a lifelong one that was healthy and didn't have a beer gut (limiting this to americans). The ones that just started or were basically anorexic and withered looking wouldn't but again I'm not sure I could consider them healthy either.

Look around at the people that claim to be vegans they almost always are an overweight woman (typically with unusual proportions) or a young underweight woman. I can't really say I've ever met a vegan that has been one any duration that wasn't one of those two and never have met a male vegan.

Also salt is not directly related to heart disease, in fact certain types of salts AKA potassium/magnesium salts found in ocean salt can slowly decalcify your arteries. As can EDTA for that matter.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #150 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The more you think the less you talk, thats why I always take a cab....

jamesqf

Americans talking about US foreign policy in latin america would be mostly immune to logic

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch